ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

macros

(1/1)

allen:
Mouser, are there any macros available for use in the "groups" section?  What I mean --

Currently, I use the groups to quickly access several favorite search engines. I'd like to do something similar, but instead of running searches use it to open a file from a list of programs.   In this case, what I need is a full path macro so I could set up items in the group like

EditPad | C:\Program files.... -%fullpath%
Opera | C:\Program files.... -%fullpath%

Etc. -- so I could match *.html files and bring up those options, from there I could view the file in my browser or edit it in my text editor.  Further macros that would make it even more useful would be directory navigation based for opening files that are on my webserver, numbering directories from the root.  So in c:\html\prawn\fr c: would be %root%, html would be %dir1%, prawn would be %dir2% etc. -- using %dir2% would print 'prawn' while, perhaps %dir2+% would print 'prawn\fr\' then %filename% would print 'index.html'  -- so with this:

Opera | localhost://%dir2+%%filename%

I could open opera to http://localhost://prawn\fr\index.html
--the backslashes/forward slashes would be inconsistent without a way to toggle them, but the browser ought to be able to sort htem out.  %dir2+/% or %dir2+\% could be used to toggle them as well, I suppose.

This might be something not broadly useful though, or you might already have something better in place I haven't figured out yet.  Just throwing ideas around.

mouser:
this dovetails exactly with the discussion in the other thread about the idea of providing a more farr-like way of searching for files AND operations to perform on them..

right now you could do what you are asking by adding editpad and opera to the TOOLBAR on farr, and searching for *.html and then dragging them to the toolbar button, with some macros defined.

i can also add the ability to specify stuff like you are asking in the right click menu.

the question is whether a more systematic nicer way might be found to be able to perform operations on files, as the other thread discusses is done by quicksilver for the mac.

it's always easy to figure out a custom interface for a specific task, but trying to figure out how to accomodate this stuff and still present the best interface for normal app search and launch is tricky.

allen:
The problem for me with the toolbar is that brings my mouse into the equation.  You're a good mouse. Input device mouse, not so much. ;) Tried finding other threads on it, but was looking for a subject that leant itself a bit more to my search query I suppose.  I'll have to find that thread and see where the discussion is going.

mouser:
yes i agree, this is a tool where it should be possible to do it all through keyboard.

jgpaiva:
allen, the thread you were looking for is here (at least, i think this was the one mouser was referring to)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version