ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Ad Muncher On Sale at Bits duJor Wednesday, March 31, 2010

<< < (5/6) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Recently I set up the Hosts File system, with HPHosts, and then Hostman for the on-off and flexibility.

I realize that AdMuncher is more flexible and can be tailored, but I am not sure that it is worth the extra effort.  I tried it on MajorGeeks with unclear results (turning on and off) and even managed to crash Firefox.  

Does anybody see running both sides of this as redundant or complementary ? If only one, which one ?

I don't really have a major problem with ads, mostly the screen drawing time they take.

The design is solid and sensible if a bit stodgy, like WinPatrol, when I downloaded I didn't even notice the whole Premium or not aspect .. so now I check the website.

Most of my browsing is Firefox, since I still never get happy with the Opera search and tabs (Linkman seems to work now) so that is another aspect.  I didn't expect the financial aspects of an ad block program to require a math degree and sharp eyes.

Shalom,
Steven

superboyac:
What's worse is that I have an existing license that will expire once v5 comes out.  But i get no break on the lifetime license.  I have to buy the lifetime license as if I was buying the program for the first time.  I have to pay for a license plus the lifetime.  I don't think that is fair.
-superboyac (March 31, 2010, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
All that being said, I emailed the developers and they are very responsive and quickly modified my license to be upgradeable.  So that is not bad at all!

Innuendo:
I;m concerned that the dev have been promising 64bit and gzip for quite some time.  He says it will be in a version, then that version comes and goes, and the feature is no where to be found.  I like what the program does, and I am considering the lifetime license, but this makes me wary.-cthorpe (March 31, 2010, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

The first time the author promised gzip would be in the next version of the software he had to rush a version out that worked with Vista's UAC. Everyone was upset that he rushed out a version so it would work with Vista & it didn't have gzip functionality.

After that fiasco, the author would only promise that gzip functionality would be in before v5. Count me in as one of the people wanting gzip & 64-bit functionality, though. A third programmer has been hired to work on the program a few months ago so hopefully things will progress more quickly once the new guy is up to speed.

Innuendo:
I don't think it's right because when people go buy software like this that has updating involved (think anti-virus software) it's usually one total price that they are presented with.  For example, if I want to buy Kaspersky I have the following options:
--$50 for one year of updates
--$90 for two years
--$120 for three years
-superboyac (March 31, 2010, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I love Ad Muncher...but my perspective is coming from someone who bought it 'back in the day' when less than $20 got me a lifetime license. It's still the best & most configurable ad-blocking program available today & I've seen signatures updated up to 8 times in one day, but I don't know if I'd pay $80 to get the functionality I have now.

On the subject of AV programs, these 'nickel and dime me to death' pricing structures is also why I jumped on a deal a year or so ago to buy a security suite for one flat price with lifetime updates as well.

superboyac:
I don't think it's right because when people go buy software like this that has updating involved (think anti-virus software) it's usually one total price that they are presented with.  For example, if I want to buy Kaspersky I have the following options:
--$50 for one year of updates
--$90 for two years
--$120 for three years
-superboyac (March 31, 2010, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I love Ad Muncher...but my perspective is coming from someone who bought it 'back in the day' when less than $20 got me a lifetime license. It's still the best & most configurable ad-blocking program available today & I've seen signatures updated up to 8 times in one day, but I don't know if I'd pay $80 to get the functionality I have now.

On the subject of AV programs, these 'nickel and dime me to death' pricing structures is also why I jumped on a deal a year or so ago to buy a security suite for one flat price with lifetime updates as well.
-Innuendo (April 01, 2010, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, i wish I had bought it back then also.  Just out of curiosity, which security suite were you able to get a lifetime license for?  That's a great deal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version