ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Low energy use always on pc -- what's better, a laptop or a mini (htpc) pc?

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
I have a project in mind that involves having a pretty low-power (but not trivial) pc that is always on.

Assuming that hardware cost is not the major factor, what i wonder is whether it would be better to use a low-powered laptop or one of these small low-energy home-theater type pc's.

The thing's that concern me are:
1) energy use -- since it's always going to be on.
2) hardware longevity (i worry that a notebook won't fare well being left on 24/7).

Note: While i would like to use this pc to stream audio, i will not be using it for heavy duty video processing (no dvr, no video streaming); so my concern is not having the cpu power to do the things i want to do.

Thoughts?

40hz:
What software will you be using to stream your audio? And does the stream need to be remotely accessible - or is it for just for inside your local net?

mouser:
haven't gotten that far in thinking yet, but it's really just for lan usage.

JavaJones:
So you definitely need a general purpose system for your needs? Perhaps you can give a more full outline of the things you'll be doing with it?

- Oshyan

mouser:
The truth is that my intent is to use this pc as more of an art piece, to drive a touch screen lcd that will be mounted on the wall in a picture frame.
So as for what will be running on it -- all manner of interesting displays, simulations, art, etc.  But it will probably also be used to play music.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version