topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: A new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation  (Read 16412 times)

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 03:41 PM »
I'll give my thoughts on it when I am able to buy it.

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Well, I bought it but the license won't apply to either one of the programs. I sent the developer an email though.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 04:19 AM »
I performed a simple test, and will try to post here the screen capture later on.

1/ I have a well defragmented partition
2/ I use "Scramble" from Raxco to create a very fragmented partition
3/ I use LaceDefrag on this partition
4/ Most files got defragmented and regrouped, but not all.

So it does defrag !  It's not an optimal defrag like what would PuranDefrag do.  Regarding performances, I not really sure on how to measure is the Lace Index is really correlated to some aspects of the performance.
.merle1.

bleh75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Have you guys used MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag) ? I've used PuranDefrag but it took forever and my PC is pretty fast  :-[

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Well, it turned out to be user error that wasn't letting me use the license. I just ran it and it took 15-20 minutes to do a defrag on my 250 GB SSD. It seems that it helped speed up the loading of programs, etc. I'll restart and edit it after its done in case the booting process is faster because of it.

EDIT: It has sped up the boot process by a couple of seconds.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:58 PM by Zero3K »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Have you guys used MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag) ? I've used PuranDefrag but it took forever and my PC is pretty fast  :-[

Both MyDefrag and Puran Defrag are very good defraggers--hard to go wrong with either one. 

I just switched to the free version of Puran after using JkDefrag and then MyDefrag. Puran's boot time defrag, optimizing methods, and multitude of scheduling options are really impressive.

I would encourage you to stick with Puran to see if subsequent defrags take as long as earlier runs.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Well, it turned out to be user error that wasn't letting me use the license. I just ran it and it took 15-20 minutes to do a defrag on my 250 GB SSD. It seems that it helped speed up the loading of programs, etc. I'll restart and edit it after its done in case the booting process is faster because of it.
Defragging a SSD? Bad idea. Unless the SSD sucks, you aren't going to get big benefits from it, and you'll be wasting your precious limited erase-cycles for no good. Speeding up the loading of programs? Perhaps because the defrag caused stuff to be loaded to the filesystem cache :)

EDIT: It has sped up the boot process by a couple of seconds.
Quantifiable or gut feeling? :)
- carpe noctem

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 10:57 PM »
1. The SSD is one of the earlier models that the company (G.SKILL) makes. Alsp, the developer wrote that it doesn't use that many reads/writes to defragment a hard drive, so it won't cause a SSD to wear out as quickly than it would with a normal defragmentation program.

2. Gut Feeling
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:10 AM by Zero3K »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 03:08 AM »
Here is the first result of my test :
1 - F before scramble.pngA new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: after a "regular" defragmenter
2 - F after scramble & before LaceDefrag.pngA new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: after Raxco Scrambler
3 - F LaceLevel index F before LaceDefrag.pngA new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: Lace Level after step above
4 - F after scramble & after LaceDefrag.pngA new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: after LaceDefrag (1 time)
5 - F LaceLevel index F after LaceDefrag.pngA new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: Lace Level after step above

Subsequent LaceDefrag executions improve the defragmentation further, and after 4-5 times, it won't change anything.  LD apparently thinks that the performance is now good enough (it's also a beta version, their main product being LaceLevel2).
.merle1.

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Could someone make please make me an AutoHotKey script that does the following?:

1. Run LaceDefrag ("C:\Program Files\LaceDefrag\LaceDefrag.exe")
2. Press Defrag
3. Wait for it to finish
4. Press OK in the summary window
5. Press Close in the main window

Thanks.

MerleOne: Compress the Vlm files in its store folder and send them to [email protected] so that the defragmentation process could be improved upon.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:13 AM by Zero3K »