ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone familiar with Oops!Backup?

<< < (19/20) > >>

Curt:
-sorry, but the version from today's firesale comes in English only - and I don't think we can have any other version. By mistake the bundlelytic version even comes without a license key. I am waiting for MakeUseOf Support to react.

-------
5 minutes later: license key received

J-Mac:
I purchased three licenses the last time Oops had a sale, and I am struggling with it currently. I opened a support ticket yesterday with Altaro. First, once this thing starts backing up there is no way to stop or pause it. Oops can get a little high in CPU usage at times, like any backup program. But if it is taking a little longer than expected and I want to work on something that requires no "stealing" of resources, like DVD authoring or editing, I can't stop Oops; I have to wait until it gives me the time. I don’t like that!

Also it has difficulties - big difficulties - deleting old backups. My backup storage grew a little too big too fast for my liking so I wanted to reduce its size. If you delete the oldest backups from within Oops it slows to a crawl. E.g., deleting less than a week's worth of backups Oops took over 20 minutes just to select the old backups! Then a couple hours - running at 75 to 85% CPU trying to delete them. It was unresponsive for so long I finally gave up and killed the process - and the service, too - and then just went into DOpus and manually deleted the files and folders. Manually. Took all of < 1 minute.

Then last night I noticed that the Oops storage area had increased by an additional 145 GB! I found a folder named "Recovered Files" in the Oops Profile folder. Why? I don’t know yet. I deleted that too.

It just doesn’t act like most other backup programs I have used, and it doesn’t allow you to freely change, delete, pause, etc.; all features that Altaro really needs to implement in order to make it a usable product IMO. I'm awaiting the next reply from support to see what I do from here.

Thank you.

Jim

tomos:
I purchased three licenses the last time Oops had a sale, and I am struggling with it currently.-J-Mac (February 03, 2011, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

hmmm, I was hoping to buy something easy to use (not for me) but that doesnt sound overly promising

J-Mac:
Tom, it is very easy to install and start it backing up. It's backup simplified. Problem is in trying to control it at all. I can't tell if they designed it this way so that people can't control/configure it, or if they just haven't developed the program enough.

Jim

SKA:
Jim
Do you know where they show what is the  latest version info on their website ?
I searched and searched but no dice.

SKA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version