ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need a new sound card (non Creative)

<< < (2/4) > >>

kartal:
Are these onboard cards use the cpu or they generally have their own processors?

f0dder:
Are these onboard cards use the cpu or they generally have their own processors?
-kartal (March 28, 2010, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Dunno about support for 3D audio, since Microsoft axed hardware acceleration of it with Vista - but if you're just doing normal playback, what exactly would the CPU be used for, anyway? Is there more to sound playback than DMA and DAC?

bleh75:
I was kind of bummed when I got my new PC with a Realtek card but I've actually been quite happy.It sounds like a pain but if you get one download the driver from http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=35&sort=4 sort by Date  :Thmbsup: It takes forever to dl from the Realtek site.

Subsailor:
X-Fi runs very well on Windows 7 64 bit. I know it's Creative but ... perhaps a more modern Creative architecture like the x-fi could solve your problems. I'm running an X-Fi Elite Pro with Win7/64.    5.1 surround sound with both blu-ray movies and the latest games.

Innuendo:
-kartal (March 28, 2010, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

They are better than they used to be, but they still use the CPU (no off-loading). However, CPUs are so fast today and having more than one core there's no noticeable burden on the CPU. Things won't be lagging out like back in the good ole days of a few years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version