ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation

<< < (7/7)

sajman99:
Have you guys used MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag) ? I've used PuranDefrag but it took forever and my PC is pretty fast  :-[
-bleh75 (March 29, 2010, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Both MyDefrag and Puran Defrag are very good defraggers--hard to go wrong with either one. 

I just switched to the free version of Puran after using JkDefrag and then MyDefrag. Puran's boot time defrag, optimizing methods, and multitude of scheduling options are really impressive.

I would encourage you to stick with Puran to see if subsequent defrags take as long as earlier runs.

f0dder:
Well, it turned out to be user error that wasn't letting me use the license. I just ran it and it took 15-20 minutes to do a defrag on my 250 GB SSD. It seems that it helped speed up the loading of programs, etc. I'll restart and edit it after its done in case the booting process is faster because of it.-Zero3K (March 29, 2010, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Defragging a SSD? Bad idea. Unless the SSD sucks, you aren't going to get big benefits from it, and you'll be wasting your precious limited erase-cycles for no good. Speeding up the loading of programs? Perhaps because the defrag caused stuff to be loaded to the filesystem cache :)

EDIT: It has sped up the boot process by a couple of seconds.-Zero3K (March 29, 2010, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Quantifiable or gut feeling? :)

Zero3K:
1. The SSD is one of the earlier models that the company (G.SKILL) makes. Alsp, the developer wrote that it doesn't use that many reads/writes to defragment a hard drive, so it won't cause a SSD to wear out as quickly than it would with a normal defragmentation program.

2. Gut Feeling

MerleOne:
Here is the first result of my test :
A new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: after a "regular" defragmenter
A new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: after Raxco Scrambler
A new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: Lace Level after step above
A new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: after LaceDefrag (1 time)
A new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation F: Lace Level after step above

Subsequent LaceDefrag executions improve the defragmentation further, and after 4-5 times, it won't change anything.  LD apparently thinks that the performance is now good enough (it's also a beta version, their main product being LaceLevel2).

Zero3K:
Could someone make please make me an AutoHotKey script that does the following?:

1. Run LaceDefrag ("C:\Program Files\LaceDefrag\LaceDefrag.exe")
2. Press Defrag
3. Wait for it to finish
4. Press OK in the summary window
5. Press Close in the main window

Thanks.

MerleOne: Compress the Vlm files in its store folder and send them to [email protected] so that the defragmentation process could be improved upon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version