ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Agent Ransack 2010 freeware lightweight - Desktop Search

<< < (4/5) > >>

SKA:
Well MilesAhead

This author is ahead of you ,so to speak <grin>
He offers same product by another more palatable name: FileLocatorLite(free):
http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?type=filelocatorlite&page=home

Go for it !
SKA

MilesAhead:
Yeah, I already have it on.  I just remember the name as one of those with built in deterrent value. :)

edit: maybe instead of the usual "Lite" in the name it should be called Diet Disaster since some people will consume anything if it's "diet."

sajman99:
For those who are not familiar with Agent Ransack, this small article by Ian "Gizmo" Richards  provides a nice overview:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/free-replacement-windows-search.htm

Bottom Line-- he installed AR on his personal laptop.

clean:
I'd like to add some details:

Agent Ransack / File Locator Light takes, on my system, about 2 minutes for finding things in a folder with several hundred files with more than 1 GB altogether. This is a very long time, from a subjective pov.

But then, I've got hundreds of outliner files that can NOT be searched by the major search tools, and even for Ultra Recall users, AR/FLL/FLPro (which for 39 bucks adds some more Boolean functionality, etc.) is of high interest since UR doesn't have multi-file search (because their philosophy is, "have it all in one big file", and there, search is top-notch).

It even searches for accented characters that are encoded in the form \'ep or \'aj, i.e. if I need to find files with such characters, I enter the term hélène in this form h\'efl\'edne (just an example) in File Locator (you could do this by macro automatically replacing special chars in your search terms), and it will not only really find these files (no wrong "hits", no overlooked occurences, as far as I can tell after some years of use)

but it will also give you the respective contexts of the terms found (multiple for a file if there are multiple hits).

Thus: For normal usage, a "real", indexing, search tool, like X1, is certainly best. But have a look at File Locator whenever you have special needs, it could save your day.

In general, if you have special files to search, don't read the "covered file formats" lists of the different progs, but download all of the available tools and trial them one by one, for / with your special files: Often, the developers themselves do not know what file formats their tools do recognize by accident.

cyberdiva:
There's been some mention of Everything, but Everything is quite different from Ransack/FileLocator Lite/Pro.  I have both Everything and FileLocatorPro on my computer.  I love Everything and use it almost every day.  However, it can only search for file or folder names--it doesn't search their contents.  So if I just want to find where I put a particular file, or whether program X is on my computer, Everything is marvellous.  But if I don't remember the filename, or I'm not interested in the filename but rather in the content, FileLocatorPro is terrific.  It doesn't take up time and resources indexing, and its searches can be exquisitely fine-tuned.  Though it can take a long time, I'm at times pleasantly surprised at how fast it finds what I'm looking for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version