ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

All these F+R ideas are wonderful

<< < (3/5) > >>

Amadawn:
yes, its really just a plain looking "application launch bar", but meant to grow in features.  it won't be the prettiest but i hope it will be up there with the most useful.
-mouser (January 28, 2006, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why would you need an application launcher if you have FARR? ;)

Or do you mean something like the OSX dock or something else? If so, check PunkSoftware's RocketDock (http://www.punksoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=143), which is simply amazing (and free!). It is almost a perfect clone of the OSX dock and it is very small and fast! :-)

mouser:
yeah we are talking about something like rocketdock but not nearly as nice looking as it :(

Amadawn:
Yeah, it is true that RocketDock really looks good (and it works really well)  :-[. They are even able to load "Docklets" that were made for other docks (like ObjectDock). Their only current limitation is that they do not support icons very well (if you want to change the icon of a shortcut that you add to the doc you should normally use a PNG. They can use icons too but it is a bit buggy in the current version) and that they don't fully support drag and drop, but these two limitations will be fixed soon (according to the developers).

So what is your plan? What do you want to do differently that RocketDock does not do? I'm sure that you have some idea of what you want to do so I'm curious! ;D

mouser:
just a heads up that i'm going to split off the launch/dock posts and move them in a thread to the launch bar commander section.
i'm interested in a much more visually traditional launch bar, that is built for holding a lot of items in a hierarchical structure, like a menu.  truelaunchbar or freelaunchbar  is probably the closest match to what i hope launch bar commander becomes.
it won't have any of the flashy animation of rocketdock, but it should have some very advanced features in terms of being able to support drag and drop of items into commands, etc.

i hope that once its out in the wild we will be able to think of new features to add to it to make it a bit unique.

nontroppo:
Wow, I leave the forum for a few days and the place has exploded!!!! ;)

It is great that FARR is getting a renewed interest. I really belive it can be one of the most useful of all utilities; lets face it, application launching and managing is utterly critical for workflow (much more than the fairly esoteric screen capturing!).

I'm curious why an application launch bar will be developed. FARR does the job excellently, why not roll some of that functonality into it. You could allow a "horizontal" mode to FARR's display to generate a "launch bar" etc. Aliases could expand off that vertically. I tried truelaunchbar, but FARR was utterly superior.

I though FARR was the antidote to all of that: contextual adaptive searching to stop the tyranny of cascading hierarchical menus; and now we are going back to it! :p  ;) :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version