ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

work around for middle button not working on X64 Win 7 Logitech mouse

<< < (3/9) > >>

worick:
ah nice. Thanks again Markham. I did run into a few issues with the exe you posted yesterday. I'll try this new one out tonight and report back. I think the fixes you put in will probably address the issues I had. I'll post more info if not.

joby_toss:
The middle button toggle works, but CD still "steals" it from other apps (Opera for example - no page scroll, no tab close on middle click) - with or without that new option checked.

Markham:
The middle button toggle works, but CD still "steals" it from other apps (Opera for example - no page scroll, no tab close on middle click) - with or without that new option checked.
-joby_toss (March 23, 2010, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
That can happen if you've configured Circle Dock to be the top-most application. It's not the mouse-click that is stolen but rather the application focus. Try setting the Z-Order to "Normal".

Mark

worick:
I unfortunately do still loose middle mouse toggle but it seems to only fail from active usage. Previously if I left the computer unused for 10+ minutes CD would almost never toggle when I used it next. Now it rarely/never seems to fail when unused for some time. It only fails when recently toggled. Oddly though it seems to self repair sometimes now. It stops working for a few minutes then works again for a while. I believe you said you had removed the timed hook repair though. Without restarting CD I have had it cycle through middle toggle working then not working 3 times so far.

*** Something that may help track this down *** When middle click toggle is not working, other apps do NOT register the middle click. Something is still intercepting it. As soon as I quite CD the other apps register the middle clicks. That may indicate a different part of code is contributing to the issue.

A few improvements I did notice:
Adding a modifier key like CTR now works correctly. Previously if I had a modifier key checked I could still toggle without pressing the key. It now correctly requires the key to be pressed.
The splash image when opening dock settings looks much better now. I know that is pretty minor but those little things count too.

Markham:
*** Something that may help track this down *** When middle click toggle is not working, other apps do NOT register the middle click. Something is still intercepting it. As soon as I quite CD the other apps register the middle clicks. That may indicate a different part of code is contributing to the issue.-worick (March 23, 2010, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that! It does give me a clue as to where to start looking! It seems that the dotNet Garbage Collector is interfering with the low-level, global mouse event handler. I have added some protection to the various handles and delegates (ie the pointers to the callback routines); I have also forced Garbage Collection to occur immediately before setting the global hooks. Together I hope this will overcome the problem.

To test this, I have added a label to the Toggle Button and I'd greatly appreciate you testing the attached beta with the following settings:

* On the Visibility Tab ("Toggle Visibility"), enable Show Toggle Button when hidden
* On the Visibility Tab ("Show Dock"), enable any one (or more) of the Show Dock when I Move My Mouse to" options but choose an edge that you're unlikely to venture too close to under normal circumstances.
You can now hide the Dock and move the Toggle Button to a convenient location on the screen such that its label is visible. The label will continuously report on three mouse activities:

* As you move the mouse pointer around the screen, the Pointer's X and Y positions are shown
* When a mouse button is pressed, the label will report "Mouse ButtonID Down", so when you press the middle button - to toggle visibility - you should see "Mouse Middle Down"
* When a mouse button is released, the label reports "Mouse ButtonID Up"All these reports come directly from the low-level handler, so we should now get some idea if and when the event handler stops working. These are the only three global mouse events Circle Dock is interested in, it doesn't care about double-clicks or any movement of the mouse scroll wheel. The latter is only monitored when the Dock has focus and Circle Dock uses normal Windows Forms reporting.

Adding a modifier key like CTR now works correctly. Previously if I had a modifier key checked I could still toggle without pressing the key. It now correctly requires the key to be pressed.
--- End quote ---
Ah! That's interesting. I have also made similar modifications to the keyboard handler.

The splash image when opening dock settings looks much better now. I know that is pretty minor but those little things count too.

--- End quote ---
I agree, it's a better image :)

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version