ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Return of the Commodore computer name?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Innuendo:
I actually think it will be a flop anyway. Commodore is a feeling, not just a name.-Tuxman (March 17, 2010, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's probably a safe bet. Many companies have tried to bring back either the Commodore and/or Amiga brand names and all have failed. I think these companies don't see what made these brands great & unfortunately, what did make them great isn't something that's going to be able to be repeated.

Take this guy/company in the OP, for example. Judging from the pic accompanying the article it looks like what he thinks made Commodore great was the computer's form factor. He must have forgotten that every computer that wasn't an IBM PC back then had that form factor. :: shakes head ::

40hz:
Actually, the return of an all-in-one keyboard form factor would be a major plus for somebody like me who does support for corporate networks. That's an idea form for internal kiosk use.
 :Thmbsup:  

Innuendo:
Actually, the return of an all-in-one keyboard form factor would be a major plus for somebody like me who does support for corporate networks. That's an idea form for internal kiosk use.-40hz (March 18, 2010, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I understand how an all-in-one keyboard form factor would be beneficial to a lot of market segments. However, those market segments who would bu this don't care if the Commodore brand name is on there or not. Furthermore, IMHO, the crowd that the Commodore brand name would attract aren't going to be interested in this.

higherstate:
Yes, I am not sure how much of a pull the brand name is anymore, it's hayday was what, 10-15 yrs ago? Could be worth a bit of PR but isn't it better to spend all that money on R & D to come up with something brave & new.

How about an augmented reality based computer system. Stick a projector in there or some glasses with screens, a glove or something for input, put it all in a backpack & make it interact with physical objects..

40hz:
How about an augmented reality based computer system. Stick a projector in there or some glasses with screens, a glove or something for input, put it all in a backpack & make it interact with physical objects..
-higherstate (March 18, 2010, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure thing. All you'd need to do is assemble a team of world class talent, design it, build it, debug it, fight off the patent trolls and knock-off shops, and find some venture capitalist who's willing to give you five years to make all this happen ahead of Sony, Apple, Microsoft, and Google. And then Be prepared to have to retail it for under $500.  

Sounds pretty doable to me!

Let me know when it's ready.   :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version