ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Best file archiver/compresser

<< < (8/15) > >>

Target:
Non-pirates seldomly need .rar support.-Tuxman (March 16, 2010, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

clearly I'm going to need to update my resume - I've used both RAR and 7ZIP for years but never considered myself a pirate

I laboured with very limited resources for a very long time (when all my friends were buying 500G SATA drives I was still working with a 40G IDE drive, and I still only have a dialup internet connection) so the need for an efficient archiving tool was paramount. 

They both offered (and still do) far superior performance and options to the existing ZIP solutions, without being so obscure that I can't share a file when I need to.

I don't run any sort of file sharing, I don't post or download pirated software,     

yet somehow because I use a legitimate piece of software I am suddenly a pirate?

I somehow doubt it, and I for one consider those sort of statements to be purely inflammatory, ie your claims are  unsubstantiated and contribute nothing

and if you can't offer constructive statements, why post them?

Darwin:
Whoa! That pirate crack was a joke, I'm pretty sure. I don't think anyone is accusing you of being a software pirate (?). My read on that comment was that it was a pun - equating "rar" to a pirate's "arr" (as in "Arr, me mateys").

However, while I believe that my reading of it is correct, looking at it again I can certainly see how you would interpret it that way.

Bamse:
Good Target point out actual need for better compression. Kind of the idea with these tools. May be more obvious if you have suffered from zip-format back when a floppy could be distribution media. Worldwide adoption of zip(winzip!) was annoying. Fast internet, big drives makes format less important, not an issue for most who are so lucky to have these things.

Target:
Whoa! That pirate crack was a joke, I'm pretty sure. I don't think anyone is accusing you of being a software pirate (?). My read on that comment was that it was a pun - equating "rar" to a pirate's "arr" (as in "Arr, me mateys").

However, while I believe that my reading of it is correct, looking at it again I can certainly see how you would interpret it that way.
-Darwin (March 16, 2010, 10:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

could be, but that fact that he stated it twice kind of makes that assumption a bit questionable

FWIW, I wasn't particularly offended personally, but making blanket statements like that sure isn't a good way to win points, nor does it contribute in any way.

Darwin:
could be, but that fact that he stated it twice kind of makes that assumption a bit questionable
-Target (March 16, 2010, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm... hadn't noticed that  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version