ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Best file archiver/compresser

<< < (2/15) > >>

Darwin:
thanks for tht info I also found this interesting, anyway it seems winrar is probably as good as you can get
link
-delwoode (March 13, 2010, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

This has been my experience. I've tested it against the DOpus archive utility (actually quite good) and earlier versions of WinZip, StuffIt, ALZip, and PKZip. WinRar compressed files more than did the others (though its advantage over DOpus was slim).

Innuendo:
I think the only archive utility that beats WinRar (only on some things & definitely not everything) is 7zip.

Shades:
I think the only archive utility that beats WinRar (only on some things & definitely not everything) is 7zip.
-Innuendo (March 13, 2010, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Oracle database dumps I sometimes receive are preferably compressed with 7zip. The resulting 7zip file is 50 to 60% smaller than the RAR archive (both at the most extreme setting). I also noticed that using the extreme setting from 7zip in a script results in an even smaller archive than the extreme setting in the GUI.

WinRAR is handy for day to day use, but 7zip (script) is my preferred method for storing data. GUI wise WinRAR beats 7zip as in 7zip a lot actions that you take for granted with other archivers simply do not work and/or not implemented.

Cuffy:
I just posted a reply to this in the wrong place!
I suggested: http://www.izarc.org/
as an archiver/compressor app.
Open it up, select all file formats, point it to your download folder and you're in business!
I've used it for years and would rather fight than switch! :-[

Innuendo:
WinRAR is handy for day to day use, but 7zip (script) is my preferred method for storing data. GUI wise WinRAR beats 7zip as in 7zip a lot actions that you take for granted with other archivers simply do not work and/or not implemented.-Shades (March 13, 2010, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Payware archivers aren't too popular around here, but my preference is PowerArchiver Professional. I can compress files into 7zip archives (or nearly any other format) using a modern GUI that's nicer looking than any archiver & it's pretty speedy, too, as it will use all the cores of your CPU while most archivers will not. It integrates with Windows 7 (jump lists, etc.) very well, too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version