ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

First compelling reason to switch to Windows 7

<< < (5/10) > >>

Shades:
I switched to 7 and it is a mixed blessing at best. After installing 7 my PC just drops network connection for no apparent reason beside randomness. For this MS should be ashamed, especially if they want to sell to companies.

It pains me to say but for me the first reason is/was UAC. You could say that Vista was an option as well, but from personal experience with pre SP1 Vista I can say that the network stack in that one is even worse than Windows 7. That one was offensively bad.

AndyM:
Allow me a predictable retort. Why is this a compelling reason to upgrade to Win7? Why not another OS altogether? Not making assumptions, but I don't understand the inevitability of sticking with Microsoft after XP or Vista.
-zridling (March 14, 2010, 08:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

In my case because I know, own, and use Windows, Word, and Excel.  What would be the net advantage to learning a new operating system and how to share files and continue to work with all the other Windows/Word/Excel people? :D

Innuendo:
I switched to 7 and it is a mixed blessing at best. After installing 7 my PC just drops network connection for no apparent reason beside randomness. For this MS should be ashamed, especially if they want to sell to companies.-Shades (March 14, 2010, 09:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't seen this before. What type NIC are you using over there?

mwb1100:
I was under the impression that hard disks had long ago stopped making the physical layout of data on the disk platters match whatever interface they had to present to device drivers on the PC.  So, similar to how the old BIOS Cylinder-Head-Sector (CHS) interface stopped having any true relevance to how the data was organized at the hardware level, the software might ask for data in 512 byte 'sectors' but the circuitry and firmware on the HDD would map that request to the true location on the platter, even if that were inside some other, larger sector.

Now there might be advantages to having a better interface or improving the software to be able to deal with larger sector sizes, but I don't think that how much space is taken up by ECC and sector identification are part of them.

Shades:
I switched to 7 and it is a mixed blessing at best. After installing 7 my PC just drops network connection for no apparent reason beside randomness. For this MS should be ashamed, especially if they want to sell to companies.-Shades (March 14, 2010, 09:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't seen this before. What type NIC are you using over there?
-Innuendo (March 14, 2010, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Onboard (Asus PQ5LM motherboard), Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20).

The thing is that XP never gave me this problem, and that was very likely why my XP installation was botched beyond repair after a laptop was hooked up to the network, trusting that its owner had properly screened and cleaned it.

Now I know that MS made a lot of changes in their networking layers with Vista and Win7. I use a Linux PC as a router/DNS server. Maybe I could still take a look if the Samba version on that one can cause my network drop-outs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version