ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Using XP System Restore Offline

<< < (3/3)

MerleOne:
Thanks, 4wd, I tend to believe so.  I have found something I'd like to try: exploring the C: disk, I found a \Recover folder that seems to contain a full windows as it was after factory installation, probably a Fujitsu Siemens procedure.  I have renamed the actual \windows\system32 folder and copied \recover\windows\system32 folder to the actual location (before it was renamed).

I have restarted ERD, and this time it accepts to see the recovery points.

I will try to launch one of the many recovery points available, and see what happens.  But before going any further, I'll try to make a full image, just to be on the safe side.

4wd:
I didn't know how far you were willing to delve into the directories in the system but here's a link that might help.

How to fix corrupt Windows XP systems

Note: Where he mentions booting to Safe Mode, you could boot to Recovery Console using a CD or boot a PE environment instead to copy/move files around.

MerleOne:
Just an update (not solved yet) :
When I looked at the windows\system32 folder, I found that ntoskrnl.exe was missing.
I also restored the machine registry files from one of the restoration point snapshots.

Now it's even stranger :
If I copy a ntoskrnl.exe file (from dll cache) in system32, the PC just loads the OS special start menu (the one one get with F8) and whatever the option, it resets and goes back to this menu.  But at the same time, ERD5 now recognize the system as OK and accepts to work on it.

If I remove the ntoskrnl.exe file, the PC almost starts OK : I get the user selection page. It's "just" that the mouse & keyboards are not working.

I have almost finished an image backup of the PC as it is now, I'll start some ERD50 tools to see if it improves.  If not, Windows install in place or full new install are just the options left I guess.

MerleOne:
The end of the story : the system was too damaged apparently, I am going for a restoration from a XP recovery CD provided with the PC.  Neither ERD50 nor any other tools have been able to repair it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version