ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Undelete utilities?

<< < (4/7) > >>

cyberdiva:
Well, I went to install Easeus Data Recovery Wizard and came upon the following warning: "We strongly recommend never installing Data Recovery Wizard on the same drive that you want to recover data from. Installation to the same drive will cause a permanent data loss and less chance to restore.
Current installation path: C:\Program Files\EASEUS\EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard 5.0.1"

I'm not sure whether that means I shouldn't install it on drive C (my only hard drive--it's not partitioned) if I ever plan to recover data from that drive, or whether it just means that if I already have a problem on that drive and want to try to recover data NOW, I shouldn't install DRW on the same drive.  If it means the latter, I'll install it, but if it means the former, I guess I won't bother.  Does anyone know for sure which one is meant?

PhilB66:
If it means the latter, I'll install it, but if it means the former, I guess I won't bother.  Does anyone know for sure which one is meant?
-cyberdiva (March 17, 2010, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
The former.

Darwin:
I have my drive partitioned, so this isn't a huge issue for me (data is on a different partition than windows and program files, including recovery tools). However, I wouldn't be *too* concerned about instaling Easeus on your drive, unless you're likely to be trying to recover files that are HUGE (GBs in size). Having said that, is a portable installation an option? By this I mean installing it to a thumbdrive. I've also done this with my recovery tools and run them that way.

MerleOne:
If it means the latter, I'll install it, but if it means the former, I guess I won't bother.  Does anyone know for sure which one is meant?
-cyberdiva (March 17, 2010, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
The former.
-PhilB66 (March 17, 2010, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
I guess it's the latter !  They have this warning in case you just want to recover files from C: and are about to install Easeus on the same C: hence risking making the recovering process a failure, because space used by the lost files you want to recover might be reused by the installation process.

MerleOne:
I have my drive partitioned, so this isn't a huge issue for me (data is on a different partition than windows and program files, including recovery tools). However, I wouldn't be *too* concerned about instaling Easeus on your drive, unless you're likely to be trying to recover files that are HUGE (GBs in size). Having said that, is a portable installation an option? By this I mean installing it to a thumbdrive. I've also done this with my recovery tools and run them that way.
-Darwin (March 17, 2010, 11:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
With previous version, I have simply copied the full program directory on a thumbdrive and it works fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version