ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ars Technica on the problem with adblocking

<< < (9/13) > >>

Innuendo:
Spot on!  I actually liked ArsTechnica a lot more before it became 'successful'.
-40hz (March 10, 2010, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh! I'm glad you reminded me, 40hz! Before Ars was successful Fisher used to get on the forums and beat the donation drum about the high costs of running the site, how everybody needed to subscribe so he could pay the bills. This was way back years before Ars caught Conde Nast's eye.

I was actually thinking of giving the man some money to help him run his site since it was obviously such a huge financial burden on him. Then I found out he was a pretty successful lawyer.

Yeah, I'm sure Ars was decimating his six-figure annual salary.  :-\   Since then I haven't thought anything Mr. Fisher has said was worth the electrons it was printed on.

wraith808:
I was under the impression that you also get revenue just for displaying the ads? Might get more from a click-throug, though.
-f0dder (March 12, 2010, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Larger sites get revenue for views.  And post #6666? LOL :)

Bamse:
Slightly different idea on how to mix community with business http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100306/1649198451.shtml or Ars employees are crybabies :)

Dormouse:
I was under the impression that you also get revenue just for displaying the ads? Might get more from a click-throug, though.-f0dder (March 12, 2010, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

All depends on the ad and the contract you have with the advertiser, agency, Google.

Most consumers have unlimited internet plans, these days - and the size of an ad is hopefully going to be just a fraction of the content you want to view.-f0dder (March 12, 2010, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure about the % of users, but most plans I see here are capped, not unlimited - and most ISPs throttle unlimited plans anyway, and most users have limited speeds (especially if the connection is being shared with a whole family), so I don't see that much unlimited really going on.

And it does make a difference. More than one site I visit, loads all the ads before the content (and often stutter/stall if the ads are blocked) and pages can take quite a few seconds to load. It can be a real irritation, if you then try to click on a link before the page has fully loaded just as it redraws and you end up on clickin on one of the ads. Of course, I tend to avoid those sites as much as possible or use a browser with heavy duty & effective ad blocking on those sites; I usually don't bother much since they don't distract me much on most sites & Google ads don't bother me at all.

Lashiec:
Some commentary on the pay-per-view ad campaigns, and why blocking ads on sites may not be such a bad idea in the end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version