ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ars Technica on the problem with adblocking

<< < (11/13) > >>

Lashiec:
More people on the Internet join the discussion, confirming the theory formulated by the blogger I linked in my last post. Yes, companies pay per view, but if not enough clicks are being received, chances are that the same company will not want to work again with you in the future.

IainB:
The ars technica article on adblocking was an amazing 1,101 words long, adding up to what some people (not me, you understand) might say was impressively specious - if not downright fallacious - reasoning, with begging thrown in for good measure and all intended as an attempt to substantiate an otherwise unfounded and insubstantial POV whilst at the same time attempting to twist the arms of the readers into conceding to that POV.

Some people might particularly notice the implicit and powerful threat:
"We've done a test and you know what? If you don't unblock our ads, then we'll...we'll jolly well take our toys away, and boy! - will you be sorry then! Try to read our site then, sucker!"

--- End quote ---
Those people might go on to add that whatever content they wish to appear on their PC monitors, what is deserving of their finite cognitive surplus and what they wish to pay for with their finite and hard-earned cash is largely up to them and that no amount of coercion or implied threat is going to alter that, so get lost.

TomTrottier:
I have the solution! The ad-blockers should download the ads, pleasing the site, and not display them, pleasing the viewer!

TomTrottier:
As well as adBlock, there are other ways to allow text/pic ads, limiting Flash, Javascript, GIF repeats and popups, at least in firefox, for viewing or printing or safety or bandwidth. eg:

* Aardvark - erase page elements
* Ghostery - deletes beacons, tracing
* RequestPolicy - disallow off-site requests
* NoScript - disallow java, javascript, flash
* BetterPrivacy - control flash cookies
* CS Lite - control cookies
* Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout
View Dependencies is nice to diagnose off-site requests

f0dder:
I have the solution! The ad-blockers should download the ads, pleasing the site, and not display them, pleasing the viewer!
-TomTrottier (March 28, 2010, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting idea - but would still waste your bandwidth :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version