ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Speaking Of: Torrent Sites

(1/4) > >>

RedPillow:
First thing to say, is that I don`t want anything illegal here - as the torrent-sites are not illegal.

I actually made this topic up, because I wanted to ask you, that what do you think about sharing programs, videos, music and other stuff MADE BY YOURSELF on the torrent-sites?
I think those sites should really be used more to ship legal stuff since they have easy search-method and lots of stuff gathered to one place - and lets not remember user-supported dl/ul`s.

It would be hell of a lot easier to find that album made by your neightbor by searching it from these sites that surfing on google and stuff and not finding anything at all.

So, post your thoughts and so on..

JavaJones:
Personally I think Bittorrent is a fantastic content *distribution* system, but not really a good content *discovery* system, and existing indexing sites are fairly good at indexing content and providing basic info about it, but they're not at all a good promotional or even informational platform for the content. In other words if your neighbor is making good music and wants to tell the world about it, the last thing I'd recommend is just to put it up in Bittorrent and hope people will find it. Leveraging Bittorrent for content distribution for his music is a great idea, but nobody will really *find* him that way. So BT is an adjunct to other systems, not a replacement. Use BT for what it's good at - data transfer - and pair it with effective use of other tools, a website, a facebook page, etc. and I think you have a good platform for success with minimal cost and other overhead.

- Oshyan

RedPillow:
Might it work for companies, which need to transfer different files and stuff all the day?
Please note, that this doesn`t happend only inside the company, so network-drives wont work.
If we leave out Ftp-servers, how would it work with torrents then?

f0dder:
What JavaJones said.

Nine Inch Nails used ThePirateBay to distribute some of their free stuff - but advertised it on their site.

Dunno about using the torrent protocol as a replacement for FTP... it would require writing new software and a pretty alternative tracker for it to work - and there's the issue of authentication and, to a degree, encryption. Also, the torrent protocol is better suited for multiple-peers - but because of it's per-chunk hashing and reliable resume, it might be better than ftp for single server->client as well.

Innuendo:
Might it work for companies, which need to transfer different files and stuff all the day?
Please note, that this doesn`t happend only inside the company, so network-drives wont work.
If we leave out Ftp-servers, how would it work with torrents then?
-RedPillow (March 09, 2010, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Companies that use BitTorrent? You may want to ask Blizzard. They've got a little side-project going right now that uses BitTorrent to deliver updates. It's called World Of Warcraft. Don't know if everyone's heard of that program yet, though.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version