ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

tree-style notes - TreeDBNotes - Keynote-NF - AllMyNotes Organizer and more

<< < (3/5) > >>

twinkler:
I'm glad to see this thread. I've been using KeyNote for years, but I'm in one my periods where I'm itching for something else.

My minimum requirement for a tree-based outliner is that it have tabs--there's no way I want all of the half-dozen totally different topics I track in one big tree.

I tried TreeDBNotes when it first came out years ago, but my outline file got corrupted after a few weeks of use. I also recall that the file was encrypted or in some binary format that prevented me from recovering the uncorrupted data.

Anyone thinking of moving from KeyNote to something else might be interested in ABC Amber KeyNote Converter, which I just discovered last week but haven't tried yet.

urlwolf:
I was using keepnote, but now I'm using lyx. You can have it portable on win (LyTeX). Great outliner, and features you don't find in notetakers (tables, equations). Even if you don't ever use it as intended (producing nice latex docs), it's a killer tool. All files are plain text, no vendor lock-in. and autocompletion built-in...
-urlwolf (March 07, 2010, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
After a couple of months of happy use, I found that lyx gets slower if you use it for a gigantic tree (what notes are!). It's screaming fast if you divide your notes into files, but then you have to deal with files (which breaks the flow for me). You can have a master file and then \input subsections, but that adds overhead. The outliner on the side does get the entire thing, which is very cool.

In a way, I'm looking for another outliner, crossplatform if possible...
Thought the update would be useful for people here.

Paul Keith:
Thanks for the help. Glad I could drop Lyx indefinitely thanks to your post.

tinjaw:
On Sale Today at Bits Du Jour

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/treedbnotes-pro/

urlwolf:
Actually, false alarm. LyX is plenty fast even on large outlines. It was some problem with qt on linux and the nvidia drivers. So I still highly recommend LyX. Sorry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version