ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Will you miss newspapers when they're gone?

<< < (4/12) > >>

ljbirns:
Daily newspapers are, basically, pointless when you have internet, but weekly magazines are still important.  smiley
--- End quote ---
The trouble with the magazines is  by the time you get them what's in them is ancient history.  Even tomorrow's newspaper has basically  ' old " news.

MilesAhead:
@ljbirns I went through a "news junky" phase when the major newspapers all started putting out online editions. I was regularly reading a dozen or more U.S. newspapers online and maybe 12 or 18 more around the world.  This dude bangs on my door and tries to interest me in a freebie promotion for the local paper which also has an online edition.  He says "but we'll give it to you free for 6 weeks!"  I said, "Man I woudn't take it if you paid me!!! I don't want to haul out all that recycle every week!"  I tried to tell the guy I read his paper online everyday.  He just didn't get it.

But there is something to be said for hard copy.  Prolly the only reason I subscribe to TV Guide is I don't have a terminal in the john like the kid in Max Headroom.

@JavaJones I'm with you. I'm done with my "news junky" phase.  I find my disposition much improved since I'm not constantly bombarded with the latest tally of slayings, rapes, celebrity scandals, natural and unnatural disasters, stock market disasters and yadda yadda.  It's not like I could do anything about them. There may be too much carbon dioxide, but I really can't hold my breath for more than a minute anyway!!!  Jeez!!!

ljbirns:
As I said in my previous post I get  three newspapers delivered every day -  I like the hard copy with my coffee.    But at least half of what I read on Tuesday in the newspaper I already read  online on Monday. 

mouser:
I'm one of those people that would 100x rather read something in print, while im walking around, than have to sit in front of pc and read it off the screen.  for me it's just a completely different experience. plus i like to write comments on whatever i'm reading in red ink, makes me feel superior.

however, in last few years, as i've grown disenchanted with the establishment newspapers, i get more and more of my news from bloggers and then from selective newspaper articles online.

so i guess for me, i miss the idealized fantasy of a good newspaper to read every day.. but i don't miss the actual loss of the actual newspapers of record.

MilesAhead:
so i guess for me, i miss the idealized fantasy of a good newspaper to read every day.. but i don't miss the actual loss of the actual newspapers of record.
-mouser (March 06, 2010, 08:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since Art Buchwald died, it just ain't the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version