ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Will you miss newspapers when they're gone?

<< < (2/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
What's a News Paper..?   :D

The wife likes reading the Sunday paper (Damn-if-I-know-why) ...I just read the comics.

ljbirns:
Online is no substitute for an actual newspaper while sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee ( well several cups )

I get  3 newspapers every day delivered plus I read two on online editions at various time during the day.

JavaJones:
This is probably going to sound horribly ignorant, but honestly I'm not a big fan of "news" in general. I feel like I get the important stuff filtered to me through friends and other personal contact (e.g. "It's so sad about that earthquake in Chile"), and I don't mind seeming a bit out of touch when I haven't heard of whatever momentous event they're talking about. Meanwhile the vast majority of news is just sad, depressing, sensationalist, crappy. I read articles - whether magazine, (occasionally) newspaper, or otherwise - pretty much all online, and I get lots of political and other email in my inbox, so I'm not exactly woefully uninformed. I just don't like hearing the breathless, up-to-the-minute latest tragedy or murder or stock market crash info. Doesn't really seem to do me any good.

So will I miss newspapers? No. But yearbooks? I'll tell you, I was never really a huge fan of them when I was in school, but looking back I'm glad they exist, and I agree a Facebook page is no substitute, nor even a normal website. It's harder to "sign" a website (guestbook functionality or comments isn't really a substitute). Even stuff like someone writing a stupid joke and drawing an arrow to someone in your book is worthwhile IMO, not to mention their handwriting or other drawing, and you can't really duplicate that online. So I'd rather not see yearbooks go away. Perhaps there will be a reasonable technological solution (when we all have iPads and can just "write" onto a "live" PDF? Heh), but for now I see them as less dispensable than newspaper for sure.

- Oshyan

40hz:
It just occurred to me that the cost of owning a gerbil or parakeet will go up sharply once there are no more newspapers.

Sorry Sweetie! No more newsprint.
Time to go walkies!

Tuxman:
Daily newspapers are, basically, pointless when you have internet, but weekly magazines are still important.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version