ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Will you miss newspapers when they're gone?

<< < (6/12) > >>

Tekzel:
Doubt it. I don't miss them now, and they aren't gone yet. Haven't cracked one in... I don't even know how long. Has to be greater than 15 years.

MilesAhead:
The whole bit about journalism reminds me of this radio talk host I used to listen to.  Now and then some kid would call up asking how to get a start in "broadcasting."  The host would say to the kid.. there's no such business as "broadcasting."  I'm in the advertising business.  This stuff I talk about is broadcast because advertisers are willing to shell out to advertise on this medium because I have a lot of listeners.  There's no money in "broadcasting."  Only in advertising. If you want to get into this business, find out about advertising, because that's what it is.  No "broadcasting school" is going to teach you that.

AndyM:
The daily paper in this part of Vermont and New Hampshire has local news that there's really no other way to get.

zxcvbn:
Back in 1956 I remember sitting in an old hangar for our Saturday morning lecture.  It was about current affairs, and we were enjoined to read one or more "quality newspapers" on a regular basis in order to keep ourselves informed.

Well, I did, and I can't say it did me much good.

A couple of years ago our local newsagent closed (and took with it the local Post Office).  Their newspaper round ceased, was taken up by another newsagent a mile or so away, and then ceased again when the new people found they could not get boys or girls to operate it.

Since then we only buy a national paper infrequently at the local supermarket.  We had withdrawal symptoms for a short while but those have passed, and I now see the national papers as full of trivia.

The local daily "The Northern Echo" published in Darlington has some good (local) stuff in it, and we always buy the "Darlington & Stockton Times" - a weekly - for the local area's news, and the abstruse farming information which we do not understand but enjoy reading.  Each week they do a review of a local pub or restaurant which we can criticise if we know the place - or add to our list if we don't.

I think the idea expressed in our long ago lecture may have been good for a few more years after it was delivered, but became less and less in touch with reality as newspapers themselves switched to publishing opinion writers, and edged into the territory of what once would have been the preserve of womens' weekly magazines.

davidsgordon:
there is nothing like a newspaper and a cup of coffee in the am.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version