ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows XP to Vista to Windows 7 Upgrade advice

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
The fly in the ointment may be if the installed custom software has some copy protection scheme.  It may be simpler just to leave an XP partition on and boot to that to do the work with those apps.

40hz:
The fly in the ointment may be if the installed custom software has some copy protection scheme.  It may be simpler just to leave an XP partition on and boot to that to do the work with those apps.

-MilesAhead (March 05, 2010, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Also good idea. Fortunately, I was able to pry both programs off the drive. Turned out to be pretty straightforward. Had to manually register a few DLLs, but I got it to work in the end. Fortunately, the only registry entries were easy to find and fairly simple so it went rather well. The only problem is that neither of them will run on 64-bit Win7 no matter what you do. Might just be some sloppy coding since they work just fine under 32-bit Win7.

So it looks like it's a wrap folks!

I want to thank everyone for your comments and suggestions.  :Thmbsup:

(I told my sister: Let's NOT do this again real soon!)

f0dder:
The only problem is that neither of them will run on 64-bit Win7 no matter what you do. Might just be some sloppy coding since they work just fine under 32-bit Win7.-40hz (March 05, 2010, 07:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
In which way do the apps fail on 64bit Windows?

Mayhaps it's a registry key issue - if you export keys from 32bit Windows and import directly on 64bit with a .reg file, the values will go in normal HKLM, instead of the Wow6432Node subkey where you want them...

40hz:
@f0dder - I was not aware of that. I'll have to look and see if that's where the problem is. Thanks for the info! Got one of my C++ Ninja friends going over what I did just to make sure I didn't do anything exceptionally stupid when I migrated the apps. I'll mention what you said next time I talk to her. The two of you could probably have some great discussions. She's about as patient as you are with stupid architecture and coding issues.

Thx again for sharing your expertise. :Thmbsup:

telephonics:
probably not what you want to hear but i'd consider sticking with xp.
and i'm a fan of "nothing but clean OS installs"

with the price of PC's these days, what i always recommend is:

* keep your old pc and don't try to upgrade it; if it works well enough, leave it alone.
* when you are ready to move up, buy a new computer, with windows 7 (or whatever) on it.
* leave both machines in runnable state for a month as you migrate over any data, and take your time leisurely testing, etc.
* after a month or so when everything runs perfectly on your new pc, and you know all your data is on the new pc and fine, then you can consider putting the old pc in a closet in case you need it one day.-mouser (March 04, 2010, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

WSin 7 still needs to address open issues. Here's one for someone to work on. If one wants to scan a docuument or image into an e-mail they must have either Outlook or outlook express. In particular HP scanners do not provide this capability if you use Windows Mail. I need this capability for my business so I'm going to dump Windows 7 and go back to Xp-SP3 and outlook express.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version