ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Organize files into folders based on flename wildcard parsing

<< < (4/16) > >>

mickblu:
Wow! All I can say so far is that it looks about a million times more intuitive than FileSieve!

Out of curiosity, what language are you using to write it?

skwire:
If FileSieve doesn't end up working out for you, let me know.  All my applications are written in AutoHotkey.  You can find more examples of my work at my website in my sig.

mickblu:
Now you've got me interested in AutoHotKey! It seems like it would, with some learning, enable me to automate a lot of the repetitive things I do.

I don't know how old you are so I don't know how much of what I am about to say will make any sense but, here goes:

I studied programming waaaay back in the 70's (BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN on an NCR mini coding onto 80-column  punch-cards!) which, while they are certainly not current languages, should give me some structural guidelines. I've also coded in dBase IV and similar (Foxbase etc.) and in  VBasic. In fact, I ran the very first BBS here in town on a 300 baud dialup modem using a Z80 computer running the entire system in interpreted BASIC!

If you were to make up this app for me, would you provide it in AHK source or is that too much to hope for? I'd love to be able to learn from a master!

I've been fiddling with FileSieve and it is a lot less intuitive than I would have hoped, and it's not helped by the almost complete lack of documentation other than a few simple examples in a .chm file.

What would it take to convince you to complete the project for me  :-* ?

mickblu:
Hi Skwire,

It seems that FileSieve crashes when faced with the 293,717 files  that I have (and I only pointed it to the "fj" subset, "ma" has another 241,098) so, I guess, your mission, should you choose to accept it sir, is to demonstrate how AHK can do the job!

BTW, FWIW in FileSieve's documentation it says: In this version, it is not currently possible for you to create your own method. It may be possible in a later version which will either provide scripting or plugin support to provide you with this functionality.

skwire:
Now you've got me interested in AutoHotKey! It seems like it would, with some learning, enable me to automate a lot of the repetitive things I do.-mickblu (March 11, 2010, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, my.  I would hate to use a computer without it.  I've built my main "system script" up over the years to the point where vanilla Windows functionality is tough to deal with.

I don't know how old you are-mickblu (March 11, 2010, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm 36.  Not too old...not too young.   :P

If you were to make up this app for me, would you provide it in AHK source or is that too much to hope for? I'd love to be able to learn from a master!-mickblu (March 11, 2010, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm no master...but you're welcome to the source on this one.

What would it take to convince you to complete the project for me  :-* ?-mickblu (March 11, 2010, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll work on it tonight.  There really isn't much left to do other than some GUI bits and testing.

It seems that FileSieve crashes when faced with the 293,717 files  that I have (and I only pointed it to the "fj" subset, "ma" has another 241,098) so, I guess, your mission, should you choose to accept it sir, is to demonstrate how AHK can do the job!-mickblu (March 11, 2010, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've no doubt AHK can do it.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version