ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Organize files into folders based on flename wildcard parsing

<< < (7/16) > >>

skwire:
Also, can you give me more information on the types of files you want to shift around?  Are they music files by chance?

magician62:
Many thanks for the response. The description I gave was in the simplest form, as I can see other potential later. I am actually sorting pictures

The idea came from using Calibre and how it stores ebooks based on regular expressions. Unfortunately it puts each item into a subfolder of the group, rather than directly in the group, which would have meant i could have used Calibre to do the grouping.

The problem is selecting the images into sets. Most have one or other of the formats mentioned for the filenames, but there are multitudes of variants, and the list is continually growing. Automating the folderising would reduce the biggest manual part of the process to an insignificant number.

Once grouped, they can be placed in CBR format and loaded into calibre as sets or stored elsewhere.

So it does sound like what you have may work, I can always give it a try, maybe iron any bugs too if they exist

skwire:
Would you mind giving me some examples of the filenames and paths you're working with as well as how/where you would like them to end up?  If they're sensitive names, either change them or PM me the list.  I can then let you know if this application will work for you.

magician62:
Many thanks for the quick reply.

The structure is in many ways quite simple, and I can adjust some of it if needed as I go, such as moving each set files to source folder, which effectively elliminates the possibilities of collisions.

Once a batch has been processed, I can physically move the generated folders to a new location, before processing another set. They can then be moved on completion, and windows can handle the collisions for me, and i can the adjust the folder name if needed.

In the following examples i can put "myfolder" anywhere needed in the path i.e. drive:\\myfolder if it makes things easier.

Most of the images are either in the format

myfolder\image00001 - location.jpg
or
myfolder\location - image00001.jpg

There are a number where I incorporate date such as

myfolder\image00001 - location 15-02-2004.jpg
or
myfolder\2004-02-15 location - image00001.jpg
or
myfolder\location 15-02-2004 - image00001.jpg

In these cases i can see the extra "-" being a possible problem, but i can work around that as once they are in their sets, I have other tools I can utilise.

There are also a few files in the format

location - 15022004 - image00001.jpg

But i have means to easily remove the first "-" so reducing it to one of the previous variants.

Destination for each set would be
mydestinationfolder\location\

Though as we are only starting in

myfolder\

and there are no existing subfolders, unless there is a programming reason, I can see no reason why the destination can't just be

myfolder\location\

skwire:
In the following examples i can put "myfolder" anywhere needed in the path i.e. drive:\\myfolder if it makes things easier.-magician62 (February 12, 2011, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

The application lets you make a list of source/pattern/destination entries and save them.  Sort of like a profile.  You can use simple wildcard matching to move files but, in your case, you will need to use regular expressions since you want to move them to dynamically created destinations.  After setting up your entries, you can then check/uncheck entries as necessary and only run those.  Here's a screenshot:

DONE: Organize files into folders based on flename wildcard parsing

Most of the images are either in the format

myfolder\image00001 - location.jpg
or
myfolder\location - image00001.jpg

There are a number where I incorporate date such as

myfolder\image00001 - location 15-02-2004.jpg
or
myfolder\2004-02-15 location - image00001.jpg
or
myfolder\location 15-02-2004 - image00001.jpg

In these cases i can see the extra "-" being a possible problem, but i can work around that as once they are in their sets, I have other tools I can utilise.-magician62 (February 12, 2011, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Shouldn't be a problem with regular expressions.

There are also a few files in the format

location - 15022004 - image00001.jpg

But i have means to easily remove the first "-" so reducing it to one of the previous variants.-magician62 (February 12, 2011, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Again, regular expressions should easily be able to work around this.

Destination for each set would be
mydestinationfolder\location\

Though as we are only starting in

myfolder\

and there are no existing subfolders, unless there is a programming reason, I can see no reason why the destination can't just be

myfolder\location\-magician62 (February 12, 2011, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, not a problem.  The software offers a test mode that creates a text file of what will be move/copied and where.  This way, you can test your regular expression to see if it does what you want.  If you use instant messaging, feel free to add any of the accounts here:

http://skwire.dcmembers.com/wb/pages/contact.php

If you don't mind and, since this app hasn't been released to too many people, I'd like to work with you directly to make sure it does what you want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version