ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon.com == AMAZING!

<< < (4/7) > >>

J-Mac:
I love Amazon and have shopped there since the start - my first purchase there was in 1997!! Being pretty much housebound virtually all my shopping is done online, and most of it is from Amazon. Overall they have done a pretty amazing job, but they have caused me a fair share of annoyances...  One of them being their horrible search feature. I relate one such instance that for some reason caused me to boil over. I sent an email about it to Amazon but first - as I try to always do when I'm a little spun up over something - I wrote it out in a note first and then cleaned it up and smoothed it out before sending it! Here is the "first blurt! I typed before editing. Well, I did edit this a little so I guess that makes it a "second blurt"! Language is a little off so mods - please whack away at will if needed.

Jim

Amazon's Fucked-up Search Function:

I searched for "indoor thermometer" at Amazon.com. First page shows 16 items. I want to sort by "Best Rating", but I can't; Amazon insists that I first select a department before I can sort at all. So I give up right there and go to look for the item at other web sites.

Why is selecting a department a problem? Here is a breakdown of the Amazon departments that contain the 16 items on that page:

Electronics - 3
Home & Garden -    4
Home Improvement - 1
Health & Personal Care - 1
Sports & Outdoors - 1
Books    - 1
Toys & Games - 1
Automotive - 1
Office Products & Supplies - 1
Jewelry - 1
Everything Else -1

All of the above departments have indoor thermometers? Jewelry? Toys?? Apparently Amazon allows the individual vendors to select what department they want a product to appear in. Also apparent is the fact that the individual vendors don't have a fucking clue!

How many shoppers do you think look for thermometers in Jewelry? Or Books? And yes - all results were actual thermometers. Oftentimes books will show up that are about the product but in this case the page actually shows a thermometer in the Books department. What marketing genius made that decision?

Amazon - get your act together!
--- End quote ---

mrainey:
That is an unfortunate setup.

kartal:
I am an Amazon prime user as well. In general I like Amazon, but you need to pay attention when buying stuff as prime user because Amazon jacks up the prices to compensate for prime shipping. At least in some instances I have experienced it.

Carol Haynes:
When you say jack up the price do you mean they generally increase prices (not my experience almost everything is about at the lowest price I can find) or that when you log in as a Prime user you experience higher prices?

J-Mac:
I am an Amazon prime user as well. In general I like Amazon, but you need to pay attention when buying stuff as prime user because Amazon jacks up the prices to compensate for prime shipping. At least in some instances I have experienced it.
-kartal (March 07, 2010, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have seen items where this does seem true. Could be coincidence though I don’t believe much in them.

Another frustrating thing is when Amazon sells a product at Prime but the product requires other parts like filters, vacuum bags, steam cleaner solution, etc. and that is only sold by other vendors there with sky high shipping costs.

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version