ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Using FileHamster to keep track of status of a job

<< < (2/4) > >>

nudone:
hmm. hopefully i'm just being dumb...

i was hoping the report feature would allow me to see which files have been revisioned, i.e. only the files that have been modified within a Watch.

could be any day, any time, with any number of saves. i just want to know which files i've tampered with and which i've definitely left alone.

i'm thinking i'm going to have to use something external to FileHamster to give me this information. or, as i said, am i being incredibly dumb - can i just display this kind of information in windows explorer or something?

edit:
maybe i should explain a little more.

a tyical Watch for me is a project containing several folders (and sub folders) with several hundred (or thousand) files. well, FTP dumps from web sites i'm working with. i try to make notes on what files i edit but things often go wrong on the server i'm working with - i wanted the report feature in FH to help me show that i'd not tampered with problem files (or to prove me wrong and show i'd forgotten about editing a file).

if i select a range of dates and ask the report to show me "newest revisions" it appears to show me every single file in the watch. or, at the very least, it shows files i've not edited at all. maybe i'm overlooking something, so i ought to try to test watches out.

tomos:

i was hoping the report feature would allow me to see which files have been revisioned, i.e. only the files that have been modified within a Watch.

could be any day, any time, with any number of saves. i just want to know which files i've tampered with and which i've definitely left alone.
-nudone (July 28, 2010, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

not sure I understand exactly (I get the feeling I'm missing something):

you can see the revisions made within one watch - first click the watch folder in the tree.
Then in report window:

* Untick the 'Show selected dates' option (all revisions then shown)
* Ticking 'Show newest Revisions' will limit it to one revision per file.
* Sort by filename. That's you're files that were modified.

tomos:

-nudone (July 28, 2010, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

not sure I understand exactly (I get the feeling I'm missing something):
-tomos (July 28, 2010, 05:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

It depends possibly on how you work - did you use FH to do an initial revision of the watched folders? And you want to see what was modified since?
Then you would have to use the date filter to exclude the initial revision.

nudone:
(sorry, i edited my previous comment whilst you were writing yours.)

hmm, i've just tried the instructions above and my output report contains 2151 files  :huh:

in other words, it looks like it's showing me more than what i've edited - i've definitely not edited thousands of files. i've edited about 20.

the actual number of files within the folder being watched is 2162 - so, i'm a little perplexed as to what is happening.

nudone:
Then you would have to use the date filter to exclude the initial revision.
-tomos (July 28, 2010, 05:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
ah, good idea. that could well be it. i'll have to experiment. i have some files locked and i "think" i added a directory at some point - which might be messing it up.

i'll try some tests to get to the bottom of it and report back.

thanks, tomos.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version