ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > T-Clock

T-Clock 2010 (download)

<< < (57/171) > >>

movrshakr:
It is on a Vista Home Premium laptop, so no monitor light to see.

The 500ms in the code is interesting...the cycle time I saw could have been 1/2 sec for either on or off instead of 1-1/2 total as I said.  I didn't measure it--just estimating.  On and off time 'seemed' about equal, but that is not measured.

If you don't hear about it from anyone else, it may not be Tclock, or it may be some odd interaction with something on my machine and not others.

I will do as you request-- try in a week (assuming I remember to turn it back on in a week!).  However, I don't think it started right when I set the option (I don't think...but frankly, I don't remember when I set that).  Big help I am.

So, we shall experiment.

I don't read code much and certainly not C++; where is that WTS_SESSION_LOCK message (bit?) set, and what clears it? Could it still be true when unlock happens?  But never mind--I was not consciously doing anything to cause the unlock (certainly not entering the password--it was not asked-for).  That a clue?  Wait! It actually was not locking, because it came back to logged-in screen, not to login password screen as would be normal if it really had locked.  It was only screen off on, not lock-unlock.

Stoic Joker:
It is on a Vista Home Premium laptop, so no monitor light to see.-movrshakr (April 01, 2011, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Crap ... Unfortunately that lends credence to my florescent light bulb theory (could be the power board at the base of the screen assy).

The 500ms in the code is interesting...the cycle time I saw could have been 1/2 sec for either on or off instead of 1-1/2 total as I said.  I didn't measure it--just estimating.  On and off time 'seemed' about equal, but that is not measured.-movrshakr (April 01, 2011, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

The half second pause allows the user time to let go of the buttons, so the triggered action isn't inadvertently canceled.

If you don't hear about it from anyone else, it may not be Tclock, or it may be some odd interaction with something on my machine and not others.-movrshakr (April 01, 2011, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just because nobody else noticed, doesn't (conclusively) mean that it ain't broken (See AMMA's post/discussion ;))

I will do as you request-- try in a week (assuming I remember to turn it back on in a week!).  However, I don't think it started right when I set the option (I don't think...but frankly, I don't remember when I set that).  Big help I am.

So, we shall experiment.-movrshakr (April 01, 2011, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you. The list of things I can't remember could fill a library ... *Shrug* ...It's part of being human. :)

I don't read code much and certainly not C++; where is that WTS_SESSION_LOCK message (bit?) set, and what clears it? Could it still be true when unlock happens?  But never mind--I was not consciously doing anything to cause the unlock (certainly not entering the password--it was not asked-for).  That a clue?  Wait! It actually was not locking, because it came back to logged-in screen, not to login password screen as would be normal if it really had locked.  It was only screen off on, not lock-unlock.-movrshakr (April 01, 2011, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Clock registers itself with the system to receive Login Session Changes, and then responds to them by firing the monitor off code. And yes you are correct about the clue, the fact that no login was required is important.

Two things (tests) that could help the diagnosis, if/when the behavior reoccurs:
1. View the monitor while shining a flashlight (or other light source) on the screen at an angle to see if the desktop is still there but very faint. Usually have to get really close (8-10") and toggle something like the Start Menu to see it. This is typical behavior if the screen's back-light goes out.

2. Try connecting an external monitor (Might require mode switching the video output), to see if it gives you back the desktop.

movrshakr:
Just for education, when "monitor off" is commanded (by either Tclock's call or something else) are you saying it is just backlight being turned off and the screen data is really still there?

Your no. 1 will be hard to do as it is only off for a moment and actually there seems to be a "fade-to-black" transition going on, although very fast, as it goes into black.  But it comes back almost instantly, so seeing what is faintly still there during the off time, if anything, will be iffy.

Stoic Joker:
Just for education, when "monitor off" is commanded (by either Tclock's call or something else) are you saying it is just back light being turned off and the screen data is really still there?-movrshakr (April 02, 2011, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, the exact opposite is true. If T-Clock is guilty, then the monitor should shutdown completely (and logoff [caused by source unknown]). If the Backlight bulb is faulty, then the ghost image of the desktop should still be visible.

Your no. 1 will be hard to do as it is only off for a moment and actually there seems to be a "fade-to-black" transition going on, although very fast, as it goes into black.  But it comes back almost instantly, so seeing what is faintly still there during the off time, if anything, will be iffy.-movrshakr (April 02, 2011, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was/am shooting for either an incident (of black-out) where T-Clock's feature isn't enabled. Or a longer term episode like the one you mentioned having to shutdown to get out of.

movrshakr:
...I was/am shooting for either an incident (of black-out) where T-Clock's feature isn't enabled. Or a longer term episode like the one you mentioned having to shutdown to get out of.
-Stoic Joker (April 02, 2011, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have had no incidents occur when Tcolock was not enabled.

The time I had to do the shutdown was when it was in one of the off-on blink manifestations.  The ones where it completely went to black and stayed there, I was able to get back in a normal way...though I do not remember now whether a log in was required for those.  Those happened first; the last 2 or 3 were the blinking kind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version