ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > T-Clock

T-Clock 2010 (download)

<< < (45/171) > >>

Stoic Joker:
TO:  Stoic Joker

I'm the guy who did this...

http://www.greggdeselms.com/tclock.html-DesElms (January 30, 2011, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I do remember you. I sent you an Email about a year ago shortly after I'd gotten the T-Clock project back on the rails.

...and you and I have had brief (and pleasant) email chat about it in the past... though I'm having trouble remembering how it ended.  I think we both just got busy and never completed it... but, again, I can't remember.-DesElms (January 30, 2011, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

That does sound about right, as work keeps me pinned down about 90-104% of the time.  :D

You've mentioned/complained in this thread, and back in our email chat, that your hosting is unreliable.  And it's true that I, for one, can't get at your site half the time, for whatever reason.-DesElms (January 30, 2011, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Back then I was having issues with a DDNS service which I shortly thereafter decided to quit using. I still am self hosting on a residential connection which has been known to go down about once every 6 months. But this is a necessary evil, as it is part of a lab I have here at home for testing purposes. This is also why my site points to here as the download location so it can be reliably linked to/found.

Interestingly, today, I tried to get at it and it failed; but succeeded when I used a proxy.  That's a new one.  Any light you can shed on that would be helpful.  It was only from deft Googling that I stumbled onto this thread today.-DesElms (January 30, 2011, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that is incredibly odd...Which error did you get, DNS or page request failure? I frequently check the page hit counters haven't noticed (uptime stats, server logs, page access, etc.) an outage in quite some time. With the exception of Windows update reboots, but that only takes a minute or two (last one was almost a month ago). If it is a DNS issue, then it may be my registrar (which handles DNS) that is dropping the ball.

I suppose it is possible my ISP (which has changed hands/names more times than I can count) is having TOS issues. But I think that would be a bit more (Total Black-out) permanent... I also frequently check for any blacklisting issues as a side effect of running a mail server.

It would be interesting to see if my IP was ping-able when the site was not (DNS vs. routing/server issue). Also would help if anyone else could comment regarding their level of success accessing my site. Maybe I could get a better handle on what is happening.

The reason I'm posting is to ask if you need more reliable hosting; and to make my official offer (and I think I offered it in our previous email chat, too) to let you have some hosting for free.  I mean, your gift of T-Clock to the world is really nice, and so the least I can do is offer you a free hosting account on one of my servers...

...which are located in the big Peak10 data center in Jacksonville...

I'm not sure I ever explained it all to you in past emails as I just have, here, so maybe that's why you didn't take me up on it.  Then again, maybe I hadn't gotten to the point in our emails that I had even offered it yet... I just can't remember.-DesElms (January 30, 2011, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do recall you mentioning something to that effect (at length), but I think I just pondered it a bit too long and forgot.

But I'm tired of people writing to me, in their emails thanking me for hosting an alternative place from which to download T-Clock, that they just couldn't make your site work.  So, I'm offering, now, to help you with that, if you're interested.-DesElms (January 30, 2011, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Currently T-Clock is still in an active development stage so I'd like to keep things running through here so people can see (the history of...) what's happening. If you've read through much of the thread I'm sure you can see I've got a hell of a to-do list. :)

The latest builds of T-Clock that I release here are perfectly safe for public consumption, and are considerable more stable than the previously released v1.01. After Vista x64 SP1 (and up through Win7) v1.01 started crashing the shell when certain property tabs were viewed.

According to my server logs, I've already been hosting tons of T-Clock downloads on the unofficial page linked-to at the beginning of this posting; so I'm sure it wouldn't be that much more bandwidth to just let you have a full-blown hosting account.-DesElms (January 30, 2011, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I truly do appreciate the offer, and may take you up on it at some time in the future. But I really need to ascertain exactly what issue (if any) I'd be resolving by making a change before I do (i.e. If my registrar's DNS is borked changing the target won't help). In the mean time feel free to send folks here so they can download the latest available version and yell at me in person... ;)

Thank you,
Stoic Joker

movrshakr:
Hi, just installed it in Windows 7 and it looks really excellent.

If you are open to suggestions,

a. option for a comma after the date would be good

b. option for an "A" and "P" in addition to "AM", "PM" for 12-hour mode would also be good  (make width narrower)

c. if time < 10 (1 to 9) in 12-hour mode, do not show the leading zero; do show it in 24 mode, as in 0455; colon not needed in 24 mode--also shortens the width.

Not critical; just ideas (nice ones if I do say so myself..... :) )

Do you have a donation link somewhere?

Stoic Joker:
Hi, just installed it in Windows 7 and it looks really excellent.

If you are open to suggestions, -movrshakr (March 06, 2011, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
Glad you're enjoying it, and most of T-Clocks coolest features started as suggestions.

a. option for a comma after the date would be good-movrshakr (March 06, 2011, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
If I understand you correctly, that is already covered in the Custom Format string options. You can basically put anything you want in the string. I use:
h:nn:ss - dddd\nmmmm d, yyyy

Which displays as:
3:13:07 - Sunday
  March 6, 2011

b. option for an "A" and "P" in addition to "AM", "PM" for 12-hour mode would also be good  (make width narrower)-movrshakr (March 06, 2011, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds reasonable enough, I'll see about tossing it in.

c. if time < 10 (1 to 9) in 12-hour mode, do not show the leading zero; do show it in 24 mode, as in 0455; colon not needed in 24 mode--also shortens the width.-movrshakr (March 06, 2011, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Took me a bit to figure this one out, but yes the default strings for 12/24 hour modes probably aren't as ideal as they once were. But if you enable the Custom format string option on the Time Format tab of T-Clock properties you can modify it to make the clock do just about anything you can think of.

Not critical; just ideas (nice ones if I do say so myself..... :) )-movrshakr (March 06, 2011, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, and I appreciate your taking the time to share them. :)

Do you have a donation link somewhere?-movrshakr (March 06, 2011, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, two options exist, and either is fine. The donations system on the board here being the first, and there is a PayPal link (bottom left) on the main page of my web site (www.StoicJoker.com).

Thank you,
Stoic Joker

movrshakr:
Ah, hadn't seen the custom format field, even though it is right there in front of me! 

?Where is a list of the mnemonic codes that can be used in it...

like (made up examples) mm comes out 09, m comes out 9, MMM comes out SEPT, Mmm comes out Sept, etc

Stoic Joker:
While a proper help file is still in the "Planning Stage"... The currently available Custom Format option are listed in the T-Clock Help.rtf file that was included in the download.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version