ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > T-Clock

T-Clock 2010 (download)

<< < (15/171) > >>

mouser:
who cares if a uac prompt comes up? if time sync is a manual action triggered from system tray i dont mind if i have to ok a UAC prompt.  i just want to have easy access to the command.

Stoic Joker:
Dunno if there's much you can do about the time sync issue - unless you're willing to run a background service with admin privileges that t-clock can communicate with :)-f0dder (April 03, 2010, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Compounded by the fact that there is already an existing time service that I don't want to run afoul of (domain membership). While I could (for simplicity sake and to allow portability) leverage the existing Windows Time Service, it quickly turns into a kludge because of the (workgroup membership) defaults which only update every 7 days, and then there's the issue that most folks tend to use the default time.microsoft.com which fails frequently for a multitude of reasons.

We are on the same page here (privileges wise), I was just hoping you could think of something I was missing.

who cares if a uac prompt comes up?-mouser (April 03, 2010, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do. ...One of the core premises for the project is that it be (draconian) Corporate Network user friendly ... So administrators need not worry if it was set-off within their realm.

if time sync is a manual action triggered from system tray i dont mind if i have to ok a UAC prompt.  i just want to have easy access to the command.
--- End quote ---
Understood. point taken, but "we" still have to contend with the proclivities of the rest of the great unwashed masses... that also might be inclined to set this thing off, and spasticly panic of an ominous looking security message is triggered.

Remember I'm working in pure C here, it's all-or-none - I don't have the luxury of the C# style runtime code level permissions checking/validation/prompting. Best I can do is what I hinted at earlier, which is to configure Quicky Menu option to point at a script that fires the Windows Time Service re-sync. That way the script handles/contends with the permissions prompting.

My typical uptimes are measured in months. I know the clock in Windows likes to drift a bit, because it completely ignores the hardware clock (after boot) and keeps its own time going forward during the session (it's a HAL thing). Unfortunately, the only current (reduced permissions) security model safe option is to let Windows handle the time.

The only reason I haven't completely closed the book on this is that I'm a bit of a (die-hard) nonconformist and love bending the rules in an attempt to invent have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too solutions. This one however has me stumped.

Stoic Joker:
I updated the DL last night, but was too fried to post the description ... and now I'm pressed for time. *Sigh*

Configurable hotkeys now available - for trial by fire :) ...I'm hoping the usage is self explanitory as I tried to emulate the native Windows shortcut hotkey interface behavior as closely as possible. This is with the exception of the added reset button requirement which prevents Ctrl Tabbing through the Tab'ed dialog from borking the config.

ewemoa:
Thanks for the update.

I briefly tried the HotKeys feature in beta -5-.

To reproduce, please try:

1. Bring up HotKeys tab in Properties dialog (what, no hotkey for this?  kidding)
2. Click Reset button for "Display Timer Watch Hotkey"
3. Enter hotkey: Control+Shift+S
4. Click Apply buton
5. Press: Control+Shift+S (notice window pop up)
6. Click Reset button for "Display Timer Watch Hotkey"
7. Try to enter hotkey: Control+Shift+S (notice that only the text Control+Shift shows up and a timer watch window pops up)
8. Click on Properties dialog
9. Try to enter hotkey: Control+Shift+S (notice that the text field gets additional content)

Stoic Joker:
Thanks for the update.

I briefly tried the HotKeys feature in beta -5-.
 (see attachment in previous post)
To reproduce, please try:

1. Bring up HotKeys tab in Properties dialog (what, no hotkey for this?  kidding)-ewemoa (April 06, 2010, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

In retrospect, it's a hell of a good question (I'll have to work on that).

2. Click Reset button for "Display Timer Watch Hotkey"
3. Enter hotkey: Control+Shift+S
4. Click Apply buton
5. Press: Control+Shift+S (notice window pop up)
6. Click Reset button for "Display Timer Watch Hotkey"
7. Try to enter hotkey: Control+Shift+S (notice that only the text Control+Shift shows up and a timer watch window pops up)
8. Click on Properties dialog
9. Try to enter hotkey: Control+Shift+S (notice that the text field gets additional content)
--- End quote ---

Hm... (May be an artifact from the old config.) Can't play with that now (I'm at work), but I'd swear that should be impossible (granted the SS differs... :)). After the initial (just updated) run can you do it again?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version