ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Pirate vs. Paying Customer illustrated

<< < (2/12) > >>

zridling:
Btw, I found that unsourced photo here:
http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg

RedPillow:
That is so true :D
It`s even easier to convert the pirated videos for example: PSP use.

f0dder:
Illustration isn't entirely correct - pirated DVDs usually include menus, and sometimes the FBI warnings are kept as well - probably for the laughs.

It is pretty damn sad that legitimate users get the shaft... for audio CDs, you often can't (reliably) rip to a digital computer format. For applications and games you're often treated as a thief if you go legitimate, with ridiculous lock-downs and restrictions (can't have process explorer running? limited number of activations? have to be connected to the internet, even if playing a single-player game, and you get booted out without save if you lose your internet connection? et cetera).

If you pirate stuff, it's download-install-run... and in the case of games, sometimes at better performance, because you don't have a crap layer of obfuscated DRM code running in a VM.

RedPillow:
You can also copy and paste CD-keys on pirated ones xD

Carol Haynes:
The best illustration of this was the UK release of Charlie Wilson's War - there was a 10 minute film about UNICEF before the menu appeared (along with all the other crap mentioned above). Not only was the film unskippable but you couldn't fast forward it or even stop it (apart from ejecting the disk) - plus if you press title menu it played again before the menu!!! This was so irritating the only solution was to look for a ripped copy so that you can actually watch the film you bought without having to cook a four course meal, eat it, spend the eveing in the local pub getting pissed just to avoid the crap. Maybe the DVD designer was just saying get a life - in which case he is probably correct.

Don't get me wrong I think UNICEF is a great organisation but it had absolutely nothing to do with the film whatsoever.

The thing I love about UK releases are the hilarious 'Don't be a pirate' clips that come up. They are set in Hades with a red faced torturer and they blame video piracy for everything from the worldwide economic collapse, teenage pregnancy and drug abuse to funding terrorism.

I'm pretty sure terrorism would mange on their own without worrying about pirating Home Simpson DVDs! DOH!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version