topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Only matching .exe files within a folder (or its subfolders)  (Read 7375 times)

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been trying to setup FRR so that it finds all the .exe files within c:\Program Files. I can add C:\Program Files and bump up the score of .exe files. I could also put a pattern such as C:\Program Files\*.exe. Is that the fastest way? By fastest I mean the one that will make it easier for FRR to find the .exe files in C:\Program Files?

Is there a big impact (performance wise) of using the pattern searches?

Also, is there some way to let FRR find the "Control Panel" categories (such as "add and remove programs", "Display", etc.)?

Thanks!

Angel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Only matching .exe files within a folder (or its subfolders)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 06:07 PM »
finding control panel applets is on the todo list for version 2; not implemented yet.
i'm  not sure which would be faster - i have mine the first way you describe, just let it search through program files and give a good bonus to all exes.

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 08:08 PM »
Thanks!

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 02:20 PM »
It's not as elegant, but in the meantime you can create a "Control Panel shortcuts" folder somewhere on your FARR path (maybe on desktop). Then (at least in Win2K) you open the Ctrl panel, select all, and right drag them all to the folder to create a folder of shortcuts to all the applets.

tonyp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 03:44 AM »
Is there (or will there be) an easy way to match only certain file types, like .exe?  Personally I'd like FARR to find only .lnk and .exe in the start menu / program files.  I have its dir searching limited correctly, then I add a -9999 to *   (to try and also catch files without extensions)  I also add in a +10000 or more to .exe and .lnk.  This works fairly well most of the time, but not completely.  It also somewhat breaks things like -9999 to *uninstall*, though sometimes it seems to work by playing with the values.

Personally I don't like simply giving .exe's a score boost because it results in a lot of unneeded and unnecessary returns, which can sometimes get confusing.  Will there ever be regular expression support perhaps?  Then one could say -9999 to all extensions NOT .exe or .lnk.  Adding -9999 to the dozens or hundreds of other extension types is a bit of a losing game.

I love FARR though, it's a truly robust little app and the best of it's kind.
For now I simply limit it to searching the start menu, desktop, and other lnk folders.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 03:49 AM by tonyp »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 04:13 AM »
this is absolutely coming -
we've discussed the concept of modifiers before as well, so you will be able to define types of searches and restrict results to certain extensions and subdirectories easily using a search pattern.

dylan +mp3 +mydocs

would say search for files with "dylan" in their name with modifiers "+mp3" and "+mydocs"; +mp3 modifier might say to find only files with extensions .mp3 and .pls, and +mydocs would specify certain directories to search in.

tonyp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 09:18 AM »
Once again it seems you've thought of just about everything, and everyone.  I'm amazed by how completely customizable both FARR and Screenshot Captor are; you've read my mind for what I'd like in such programs.  I look forward to poking my head around these forums and getting up to speed.   Thanks. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 09:20 AM by tonyp »

duke1995

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Finding Control Panel applets
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 06:24 AM »
finding control panel applets is on the todo list for version 2; not implemented yet.

Will "finding control panel applets" be a part of version 2 after all ? I know i can do that by making shortcuts to them in a folder of my choice but it would just be easier if it worked out of the box.

Thanks for this great program anyway :Thmbsup: