ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Right, time to work on...o_0 a shiny penny, I WANT IT!

<< < (3/3)

KynloStephen66515:
If I were to tell you to clear your mind of everything else and focus on one thing for 10 minutes, then you can have a 2 minute break to do all that other stuff, then back to work for another 10...etc.

And you don't even have to watch the clock because I'll do that for you and tell you when to take a break and when to get back to work, do you think you could be more focused?

For some people, knowing they only have to work for a short time and that they have a set scheduled break to check email, reorganize their paperclips, twitter, facebook, or whatever else normally clutters their head while working, and knowing they don't have to watch the clock for fear they might miss the opportunity to do all that stuff, helps them concentrate better on what they are supposed to be doing.

It's probably why so many people love my Instant Boss application.
-app103 (February 21, 2010, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

A> Love the plug haha
B> Already got Instant Boss, Already Use It, Love It, But like everything else, it fails me when writing my book.  I think it is just a literal case of writer's block, which can take unknown amounts of time to go away :)

slowmaker:
Certainly seems like the logical way to do it, but it's much easier said than done.

I have tried writing a list of what needs to be done, that was an epic fail, then I tried doing 1 chapter at once, kept getting distracted, and I have tried countless other things.
-Stephen66515 (February 21, 2010, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Two suggestions, both of which may fall under the heading of the countless other things you already tried, but here goes:

1) random dictionary attack: open the dictionary to a random point with your eyes closed, stab your finger down somewhere, then open your eyes and do your best to make that work apply somehow to the current page of your novel, no matter how retarded the connection may seem.

2) what would.. attack: ask yourself, as if you were talking to another person, what a non-blocked writer would be doing at that point in the story. If the answer is "I dunno" even after a few minutes, ask yourself what someone who did know be doing. If the answer is "this is stupid", ask yourself what would someone who did not think this is stupid be doing, etc.

Both a little off the wall, but both have worked for me in other problem areas, so you might want to try.

Shades:
How about: 'waking up your muse' (google books)

Here is another link describing the (exact) same subject (everything.com).

With the advise provided by these links you can still indulge each of your whims and call it....book research.  ;)

KynloStephen66515:
How about: 'waking up your muse' (google books)

Here is another link describing the (exact) same subject (everything.com).

With the advise provided by these links you can still indulge each of your whims and call it....book research.  ;)
-Shades (February 21, 2010, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cheers, I will take a proper look at them later when I get a free minute  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version