ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which Linux For Non-Techie Windows Users?

<< < (3/6) > >>

wallee:
I gotta vote for Ubuntu - I installed it on a 10 year old dell (xp pro) that had imploded... the install was automatic...  it was for my wife's pc - she would call a c prompt "that c thingy"

She loves it... :Thmbsup:

NinJA999:
I heartily vote for Linux Mint.  It's the first Linux install I did which ran like a Windows install--quickly and painlessly, with a pretty end result.  The vista-like searchable "start menu" and by-default-installed compiz are great, and it's built on Ubuntu, so it's compatible with anything which can run on Ubuntu.  It also looks a lot like a Windows system, so it's not confusing.  I've recommended it many times and the recommendations usually result in people changing their favorite distro.  Linux Mint FTW.

sajman99:
I've been a fan of PCLinuxOS for the last few years. I even installed it on an old computer with 256 MB RAM and to my amazement it actually works.

NinJA999, I gotta check out Mint--I keep hearing good things about that one.

bratliff:
Super Os is built on Ubuntu and it has priority drivers included, which makes the install easier. The catch to moving from Windows to Linux is does Linux have drivers for all your hardware. Once a techie does the install and all periodicals work then the user can find the menus for his programs easily enough. Browsers and most other internet programs look the same as windows anyway, especially if you are using google or yahoo email.

eleman:
If I may change the course of discussion a little bit, which linux distro would be the choice for old computers (p2-500, 256mb ram etc.)?

XFCE or the like is the way to go apparently, but installing PCLinuxOS, and changing the window manager from KDE to XFCE does not sound like a natural option. Which distros are both reasonably lightweight and reasonably newbie friendly?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version