ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

People are really (really, really) stupid

<< < (2/9) > >>

app103:
According to Mercury News, about 70% of AOL users also use Facebook-The Article
--- End quote ---
That pretty much explains the stupidity phenomenon to me... (Because) ...Nothing screams retard louder than an @AOL.com address.
-Stoic Joker (February 19, 2010, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have 3 of those, and I know quite a few intelligent people that have at least one, too.

But I will agree that there is a certain majority from there that has little to no sense and it amazes me that they can figure out how to turn the computer on (or did they?).

I used to have a group of women on AOL that used to beta test my software, not for finding bugs, but for "dummy proofing" purposes. (it's why my DClock2 can't be moved off the screen  :huh:)

The Facebook login issue is due to the fact that some people just don't know how to use a browser. They type "facebook login" in the addressbar and their browser is configured to go to the most likely page, since it's not a URL. That would be the same as going to google and typing it in and hitting "i'm feeling lucky".

In the past, it worked fine for them and took them right to the facebook login page, but if that isn't the top result, as what happened with the recent google shuffle, then it just takes them somewhere else they didn't expect....like that blog post. Then they get confused, and everyone starts making fun of them.

Now, as an experiment, you could simulate their world by not using any of your bookmarks or typing in any urls. Just use Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" and the name of the site you want to visit, for one full day. For most sites, it works great.

tomos:
I dont think this is stupidity -
it's ignorance - these are mostly people who have never learned (in the sense of being taught, but maybe in every sense?!) about using a computer. Have you ever tried to teach beginners - they have an icon the desktop - that's the INTERNET, and god help them (and you) if it moves for any reason. They have no concept of what it is they're using or how it works. Search vs. URL's huh??? :huh: :huh: that's a more advanced science. I learned that way myself (without being taught & pretty much without help) but I was curious and interested - it still took years for me to understand lots of stuff (it was probably helpful I only had dial-up - I was learning at a dial-up pace) and I'm still likely to make very stupid mistakes with programmes - I'd be good to dummy-test apps for App ;)

There was a vid a while back somewhere asking people what a browser was (prompted by google's new os) that was fun - found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MwTvtyrUQ

Josh:
You know, I've said it before and I will say it again. We need to remove all safety warnings from every product and this stupidity problem will solve itself. People will LEARN to survive and do what needs to be done. Darwinism FTW!

Shades:
I'm agreeing totally with Josh. No warning labels on any product! Pain is the teacher with the most eager students...and that knowledge retains a lifetime (however short that may be for some according to the rules of Darwinism).

cranioscopical:
Pain is the teacher with the most eager students...
-Shades (February 20, 2010, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Said the 4'6" lumberjack...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version