ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why OpenOffice? Why Microsoft Office? Each one makes their argument

<< < (5/7) > >>

f0dder:
I leave OOo installed for those few sites where I find the authors relying on ODF, a poor choice in formats IMHO.
-Josh (February 22, 2010, 03:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
Better choice than OOXML, but still a crap format. Yes, something XML-based is the best idea for document exchange, but it's a crap poor default format (binary formats for speed and win!). And both OOXML and ODF are lousy memory dumps rather than properly formatted documents.

Whether the ribbon gives productivity gains obviously depends on what you do. If all you're doing is entering raw text with the occasional bold/italic, it obviously won't gain you anything. If you need a bunch of tables, formulas, styles... it's a definitive productivity win. The formula stuff in o2k7 is actually rather usable, unlike previous versions.

Josh:
Exactly. For the organization I operate with, most of the users see a producitivity jump as we are doing quite a bit in office every day of the week, especially deployed. As you said, if all you are doing is basic document editing, office and openoffice are both overkill for your needs. Wordpad or a slighly more advanced editor is more desirable and recommended.

And yes, I agree that ODF and OOXML are both poor formats.

urlwolf:
In linux, I don't like OO. I found 3 bugs on presenter in about 2 hr of use.
Softmaker 2010 beta has huge kerneling problems. And scroll is jumpy full screen. it feels like a wine app.

I'm happy with lyx because it's plain text, fast, crossplatform, and renders beautifully. Best integration with zotero I could find too.

TucknDar:
Softmaker 2010 beta has huge kerneling problems. And scroll is jumpy full screen. it feels like a wine app.-urlwolf (February 22, 2010, 04:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hopefully being beta is the important clue and it will work out better when finished :Thmbsup:

cyberdiva:
I'm under the impression that Softmaker 2010 is now out of beta.  I haven't tried it, but I was impressed the few times I've used the 2008 version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version