ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why the aversion to .NET Frameworks?

<< < (14/15) > >>

Eóin:
For me, the bad experience with the first versions is important. I had expectations and was disappointed on so many fronts. They turned me from a potential fan into a passionate hater. If Ms kept the first two versions internal and released #3, it could have been a different story.
-vlastimil (November 19, 2010, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, it's for the same reasons I hate LangX. I mean writing machine code in punch cards was just so tedious and error prone that it left a bad taste in my mouth. The IT industry should really should have kept every method of programming under wraps until LangX was was complete. That way first the impression would have been better. [/sarcasm]

vlastimil:
Care to explain? I've done C, C++, Java, C# and (tiny amounts of) VB - and I see C# and Java sharing a lot, having C++ legacy... and can't identify VB in C#.-f0dder (November 19, 2010, 11:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

They have C++ syntax, true. Programming mindset is different and much closer to VB. They have a framework instead of direct access to C/C++ Windows API. They limit you in order to increase safety. They have quirks, because wrapping something is always problematic. Their IDE supports fast development of simple tools or specialized apps, they usually fail when things get complex.

Though I am not saying C++ is superior to VB, I am just saying C# is closer to VB than to C.

For the cases where MI would be sane in C++, you use interfaces (and possibly composition) in modern languages.
-f0dder (November 19, 2010, 11:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, then I must be insane  :Thmbsup:, I am using it a lot and it has saved me a hundreds of lines of code. The multiple-inheritance workarounds cause code duplication or bloat.

---

Eoin, I am explaining my feelings and there is no need for sarcasm. Microsoft is a big company and should not have used superior marketing instead of superior technology to push their thing over Java. Just read the quote in your signature.

Eóin:
vlastmil, I was just joking ;)

vlastimil:
OK, no problem  :)

wraith808:
For the cases where MI would be sane in C++, you use interfaces (and possibly composition) in modern languages.
-f0dder (November 19, 2010, 11:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, then I must be insane  :Thmbsup:, I am using it a lot and it has saved me a hundreds of lines of code. The multiple-inheritance workarounds cause code duplication or bloat.
-vlastimil (November 19, 2010, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not if utilized correctly.  That's the difference, I think.  It is a different mindset to a certain extent, because you have to think differently to get your work done.  Your design has to be different.  But, after doing it that way, it makes much more sense IMO.  And is definitely a lot more readable and maintainable.  And in the end, especially if you're working on something that someone else created, that's what makes the difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version