ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why the aversion to .NET Frameworks?

<< < (3/15) > >>

CoderOmega:

easily 90% of .NET app come with some type of installer. (and...) Not all installers are intelligent enough to stop and make sure the runtime package they're holding is necessary. So you install app A and app B explodes (I see this a lot). ...Becaused something got moved/changed/updated/tinkered with (what shouldn't).
-Stoic Joker (February 17, 2010, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

.net 2.0 doesn't override .net 1, and .net 3 install .net 2.0 automatically because it needs it as it builds on top of it.
So all .net framework can and do coexist without problem on the same machine.

wraith808:
As I now have to deal with the very real possibility that there is now a new problem that I just created by installing X which is (conflicting with Y) now compounding the issue that got me called to the site in the first place.
-Stoic Joker (February 17, 2010, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

And this is different from all the other "DLL Hell" issues out there how?  I mean just because it is a different name doesn't change the way you troubleshoot.  And just because the technology changed doesn't mean that the issue is new.  It just looks different with a different player.

-steeladept (February 17, 2010, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've never, ever seen this happen with a .Net application.

One of the big advances that .Net gives you over the old COM model that's tied up with the Windows registry is that .Net understands versioning of code. It's perfectly possible for two apps to want different versions of an assembly, but (if the code is built properly) .Net is able to handle this automatically and provide the correct versions as required. That's what strong naming and the GAC are all about.

Properly building this stuff as a developer can be a pain, but the thing is, at least you're able to worry about it if you choose to. Other Windows frameworks don't even give you the opportunity, and I'm not aware of any other framework on other platforms that do either.
-CWuestefeld (February 17, 2010, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

This +1

By putting the installer into VS, and putting the control over the GAC in the hands of the OS, DLL Hell has been reduced (dare I say it eliminated for the most part?)  It's a lot different from the cowboy days of VB and MSVC.

Stoic Joker:
Theory vs. practice ... despite what is supposed to happen, I've seen this rather unique conflict game play out in the (real world) field many times.

JavaJones:
Well, I can try to say what I think other people dislike about .NET, or talk about my own issues with it. My own are more personal, from actual experience, and so perhaps more interesting/relevant? I'll start there.

My main beefs with .NET, not necessarily in any particular order, are:
1: I don't want to have yet another framework
2: Another target for security issues, and they seemed to happen relatively frequently, especially in earlier frameworks
3: Matters less now, but still download and more so install size are large and annoying - I can't help but expect bloat (but maybe this is imagined?)
4: Speed of execution for many apps is slow, whether due to framework bloat, or poor coding practices, or...?
5: This may be a myth or simply misunderstanding, but I tend to feel like .NET and accompanying languages and tools (e.g. C#) makes things easy enough that code can get sloppy easier (or just seems to *be* sloppier from my experience, regardless of the reasons one might guess at)
6: 4+ different versions of the same framework, none backwards compatible? Really? Java manages to avoid this, why can't .NET?

That being said since MS has continued with it, I think .NET has lost some of its bad reputation. Eventually I guess it'll just be included with all versions of Windows like DirectX and no one will think much of it. But there's still the cross platform issue...

- Oshyan

tsaint:
Here's what happened to me (from memory), as a non-technical "user".
At some point I got stuck in a betwixt net 2 and net 3 limbo - nay, HELL. I wanted to install net 3, it wouldn't let me.
I thought I'd uninstall net 2, then net whatever was below and start afresh... it wouldn't let me for reasons I couldn't fathom, since I was responsible for installing all prior versions of the bloody thing.. Couldn't go forward, couldn't go back.
  I needed net 3 for such a simple little utility (size and scope) and it caused me such "out of all proportion "angst".
So I don't like the net framework (more correctly, I don't TRUST what may happen sometime in the future) and avoid anything needing it if possible, even if the net framework is God's gift to the computing world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version