ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Which is better windows mobile or android os or iphone os?

<< < (6/13) > >>

steeladept:
One other thing - if you are looking into the Android and want to know about good apps out there for it, look at podcasts from AppJudgement.  They focus mostly on the iPhone/iPod Touch, but they have a significant and growing following for the Android platform as well.  It is a good site for information about the apps available.  I would be interested in seeing something for WinMobile as well, but I guess it isn't big enough for them to cover.  What I find most interesting for them about the iPhone/iPod Touch apps is they even have several segments about apps specifically for the jailbroken phones - specifically apps found on Cydia.

kcswitzer:
So any verdict yet? I'm also finally about to get my first smartphone as well.

Eventhough my service provider will subsidize part of my new hardware upgrade, it still boggles my mind why I would consider running around with a $600+ USD phone in my pocket.  I'm from Canada so our providers price gouge you epic hurt for data + voice compared to the rest of the developed world.

Would I be a cheap bum to suggest walking around with your existing mp3 player, camera, skype phone and/or mini pc with wifi to meet your mentioned requirements? iPod touch with Skype?

Musubi:
Well right now I'm personally most inclined to Iphone I decided to wait till summer until they release their iphone 4g or whatever it will be called. Mainly because I'll be able to buy an ipod touch for my girlfriend and we'll be able to pay multiplayer games (Ok I know this is a strange reason, but a big one for me). Windows mobile actually is dead to me. No literaly windows mobile 6.5 is dead even to microsoft. They officially claim it's dead. Why? Because  the windows phone 7 won't support apps written for wm 6 or 5, meaning it will not be backwards compatible.

I'm still thinking about android though. Mainly about the new htc Desire http://www.htc.com/www/product/desire/overview.html

My problem with the iphone is that I will have to jailbreak it to make it useful for me, and I don't know if my provider will have htc desire. (Orange pl. (I'm in Poland). (It has the iphone) (And I'll get it practically for free because I'm gonna get an expensive data plan so the iphone will cost me about 50$).
The thing that also lures  me to the iphone is the massive amount of accessories for it. Like a strap on physical keyboard. (You know to make the virtual keys "feel", so you can type without looking).

Another thing that makes me thing  is ' how will the iphone 4rd generation look like?" It will most probably have more ram anc cpu (Probably 1ghz), but what else? I think they'll include an additional camera in the front for video calling, and that will be it, it will be called the apple Ieye.
(Of course that's just speculation). Or maybe they'll include a physical keyboard, or build up the voice command so it would be even more powerful than the more powerful microsoft voice control?
Or maybe they'll ape android and get an additional button in the keyboard for dictation.

Seriously if it weren't for the fact that i think that the ipod touch is a great gift for the girl I like, who's not so technically inclined. (You know the iphone/ipod touch is a phone even grandma and grandpa can use, apple likes to be user friendly). She could read books in the park...

Dormouse:
My problem with the iphone is that I will have to jailbreak it to make it useful for me,
-Musubi (March 20, 2010, 04:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

But surely this is a big problem. You can do it, but you then tie yourself into a cycle of jailbreaking, getting jailed, and jailbreaking again. A constant fight between you and Apple.

Seems to me that you either commit your fortunes (literally) to Appleness, go elsewhere or have to fight a constant guerrilla battle against the Sith.

Musubi:
Jailbreaking isn't that hard I heard it takes like 10 minutes or so....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version