ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mass checksum checker

<< < (2/5) > >>

Krishean:
with quicksfv it will recurse through subdirectories and add all the files it finds to the sfv/md5 file, you just have to select the top-level directory. unfortunately as i said it dosen't seem to work with unicode filenames

i'm not sure if HashCheck has the same functionality, and i know quicksfv will not drop a checksum file in each subdirectory. i am sure someone here could program a unicode-compliant application for what you want, and if i had more time i'm sure i could do it myself

tinjaw:
I tried a little searching and found the following: (I have no experience with it at all.)

ExactFile - Make and test MD5, CRC32, SHA1, SFV, md5sum, sha1sum and other hashes, quick and easy.
http://www.exactfile.com/

(emphasis mine)

* A file integrity verification tool:
          o Use it to make sure files copied to CD-ROM are bit-perfect copies,
          o Use it to make sure backups copied from one drive to another are just right,
          o Use it to make sure files haven’t been changed or damaged over time.
    * Multi-threaded, so your extra CPU cores get used when scanning multiple files and work gets done faster.
    * Happy with Unicode file names, so it doesn’t fail when you’re using it on files named in Japanese, Hebrew, Chinese, or any other language.
    * Supports multiple checksum routines (hashes), like MD5, SHA1, CRC32, RIPEMD and others.
    * Supports recursive directory scanning.
    * Supports Very Big Files — If it’s on your hard drive, ExactFile can handle it.
    * Does everything popular file summer utilities do, like fsum, md5sum, sha1sum, sfv, etc, but better!
    * Compatible with popular file checksum digest formats.
    * For Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.
    * GUI. Easy to use to get checksums for individual files, create checksum digests, and test checksum digests. Does not require the console version or any external DLLs.
    * FREE.

ExactFile is currently under development and in public beta. Download here. Watch the blog for info and updates.
--- End quote ---

Mass checksum checker

There is also a command line version.

Krishean:
nice find, i might just try that myself  :)
i also have been looking for a better checksum utility because of quicksfv's shortcomings (unicode/sha1)

imtrobin:
This looks cool, testing with 1 TB data now, looking great! I can't believe I paid for ACV, and the author don't reply.

widgewunner:
Multiple files:
If your data is located in one branch on a file system, you can use GIT, the version control software used to manage the Linux kernel. It uses SHA1 hashes to identify every version of every file in the tree as well as the entire tree (and every version of the tree). The design is actually quite simple and secure - the entire history of the tree of files is rendered down to one single SHA1 hash. If any version of any file is modified (or the disk is corrupted in any way), this SHA1 is changed. Thus, if the SHA1 has not changed, you can be sure that all the versions of every file are intact. (This web page does a pretty good job of explaining how this works.) Setting up GIT is quite simple using a command line interface. Its free and open source. The preferred Windows version is available at Google code: msysgit.

I've only recently gotten into using source control software but have become a fan of GIT's elegant design and useful functionality. It was this lecture by Linus Torvalds on YouTube that turned me onto the beauty of GIT. If you go to the Git documentation home page (http://git-scm.com/documentation) there is a link to this and other videos describing GIT. I've been using it heavily for a couple months now and have had no trouble whatsoever. It is a very cool tool!

Single file:
One of the first apps I install when setting up a new box is: hashtab. Once installed, just right click on any file and select Properties. On Windows, this little beauty simply adds a new File Hashes tab to the file's property sheet which displays the various hashes of the file like so:
Mass checksum checker
Just copy any hash code text into the Hash Comparison text box and it gives a green check mark indicating which hash type has matched (or a red X if none matched). You can select to display a variety of different hash algorithms - here is the settings page which shows the supported hash types:
Mass checksum checker
Hope this helps! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version