ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Antivirus companies support virus writers?

<< < (7/9) > >>

Bamse:
Yes but I think my point was I was not that cautious. Underestimated threat, was not able to make any reasonable evaluation of risk or why am I surprised of this? I did not say my pword was rather weak or that I gave account access to whole C: drive did I, heh. Was actually just testing memory usage not ability to keep IPs out. Anyway, nice with a wake up call to "common sense" defense. Also why I sometimes test malware and visit the not so recommended sites.

Stoic Joker:
Seems like we got half a plant full of script kiddies running port scans for targets to run dictionary attacks against. Our FTP server here has been attacked as many as 10 times in one day...which is quite a bit considering they're sustained 2hr attacks. I just snicker as the logs scroll by and wait for some one to complain that their account is locked out.

f0dder:
Stoic Joker: it's beyond script kiddies, and has been so for ages... it's automated botnet sweeps these days, which is far scarier than a little zitty kiddie in his parents' basement. (Not saying you didn't know that, just pointing it out to the rest of the world). And what's also pretty nasty is that automated SSH probes have lowered their rate a lot - enough to not get caught by stuff like fail2ban. At least the sweeps hitting my server.

Stoic Joker:
And what's also pretty nasty is that automated SSH probes have lowered their rate a lot - enough to not get caught by stuff like fail2ban. At least the sweeps hitting my server.-f0dder (February 19, 2010, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not familiar enough with that combo to gauge how low that would be, can you put a number on it for me? I keep the account lockout threshold pretty tight because the company is small enough that I don't mind manually unlocking an account if need be. But if it's going slow enough to get under/past that ... I may consider worrying.

JavaJones:
Recently I've heard of malware that actually cleans systems of other malware so that it gets exclusive access to system resources. One wonders about the possibility of software that replicates and distributes like a virus, but only does removal of other nasties...

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version