ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Return of the Son of the best *free* Windows Text Editor

<< < (13/19) > >>

NigelH:
I really like HippoEDIT - it helped me sort out some complicated multi-platform ifdef stuff. I was quite impressed.
However, I don't use it as my main editor (EditPad Pro) as I had continuous context switching delays when editing files on SMB shares.
Perhaps there are configuration settings that could mitigate that problem, but I didn't pursue it.

I was also an UltraEdit fan at one point, but post V12, it really just became too lethargic.
For quick & dirty editing, it's Notepad++ mainly - sometimes Notepad2 or SciTE.

Tuxman:
UltraEdit has some text display glitches for me.  :huh:
A pity, as I'm like "well, let's try some other editor than Notepad++ as my Vim fallback" right now, and UE does what it should.
(At least it does way better than e and InType and whatever they are called.)

So - still no way out.  :)

(n.b.: PSPad tends to be slooooooow on my system, so... whyever.)

f0dder:
Tuxman, what's your issue with E?

Haven't played much with it, but I like their (blog post about) branching undo system :)

ecaradec:
Here is my own experience with text editors :

Any editor you choose will have shortcomings. Unlike many I think that VS is a good text editor. Most people who dismay it often doesn't even know it at all : it has macros, auto indenting, uppercase as a shortcuts, excellent tag navigation, and a very nice command line (my favorite command is 'of' which open any file in the project by it's name ).

I don't like it for php, javascript and web stuff in general : so I use VIM then. The editing stuff in VIM are incredibly superior to VS. It has a very simple extension system which means lot's of plugins. The modal behavior is what really makes VIM powerful, because that way you have many more free keys for shortcuts. What I use the most : vertical selection, vertical edition, switching files with ease, macros, grep with quickfind window, 'go file' to follow includes. I often google for one liner for sorting lines, deleting stuff under some special cases. The default configuration of VIM is very bad although, it's only good if you're going to use it to edit one file at a time. I switched to VIM because I wanted to have a pure text editor where everything was accessible without the mouse. I find that hunt and pick with the mouse is not very efficient.

It has a price though : My coworkers often makes fun of me because I have shortcuts for absolutly everything (thanks to FARR ;)...

I tried emacs, but I don't like it, it's just an editor with really weird and long to type commands and you have a learn a whole ecosystem to use it truely. The shortcuts doesn't make sense to me either. I tried several times, I can't use it. It has some good thing still : it can open really huge files with syntax coloration without lag (vim lag horribly ), it can fold big files and store fragments into other files transparently, it has more powerful plugins too.

VIM is really my favorite for php, javascript and ruby. VS is my favorite for anything C++, C#. As anything, some things aren't done in the same way of all editors, you have to adapt your style. I also tried various scintilla editors (they often offer too few functionnalities beyond just the scintillarea control ), E (way too java and slow ), notepad2 and notepad++ (nice, but not as good as VIM ).

Only VIM, emacs and VS can filter and open file by their name only by using keyboard (that's the function I care the most about ) and this is what mattered to me in the end.

It reminds me of the classical learning curve of text editors  : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/steverowe/archive/2004/11/17/code-editor-learning-curves.aspx

Tuxman:
Tuxman, what's your issue with E?-f0dder (November 11, 2010, 03:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
All these "TextMate-style" text editors are very similar to each other. A small set of features, and the only "superior" feature is the ability to use bundles, oh well... (also, e uses Cygwin for implementing that! Ridiculous.)

Maybe I haven't quite found the "wow" of it yet, but I'll try some other day.
Probably.

Full ACK @ ecaradec.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version