ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Return of the Son of the best *free* Windows Text Editor

<< < (11/19) > >>

mrainey:
Has anybody worked with SciTE?  It looks to be an open-source text editor with syntax highlighting, regex, column mode, code folding, and lots of other stuff for programmers.

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

Tuxman:
SciTE is quite the same as Notepad++, right?

f0dder:
SciTE is quite the same as Notepad++, right?-Tuxman (November 06, 2010, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
No.

They both used the Scintilla edit control (SciTE can be thought of as the "demo text editor around Scintilla"), whereas np++ is a completely different editor "shell". Haven't checked up on SciTE for a while, but last time I checked np++ definitely had the better feature set.

Jibz:
There are a few decent editors out there based on Scintilla. Atm I am using Notepad++ for more heavy editing and Notepad2 (thanks app) as my "press F4 to quickly edit a single file from TC" editor. I even have it set up to close when I press Esc :-*.

Since it doesn't support tabs it is not for heavy editing, but as a fast text editor I think it has almost the perfect feature set .. only two things I miss are smart highlighting and an option to make backspace unindent.

Tuxman:
f0dder: Ah, thanks. I thought the engine would make the machine.  :)
(Haven't tried SciTE for a while either.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version