ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Return of the Son of the best *free* Windows Text Editor

<< < (9/19) > >>

mwb1100:
What can you do in UE that is more advanced?
-Jibz (March 10, 2010, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the key thing is that when you're in column mode in UE and have a column selected what you type goes on all lines in the column. Some people seem to use it a lot (I'm not one of them, but can see it being handy if you do need it).

f0dder:
Which works fine for copying text or doing find/replace, but pretty much not anything else - definitely not comparable to a column editing mode :)-f0dder (March 09, 2010, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

What can you do in UE that is more advanced?
-Jibz (March 10, 2010, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Haven't used UE for years, so can't speak about that - but Notepad++'s column editing mode is rather simple. It's not as bad as I remembered it being, though, after just grabbing a recent version: you can actually do edits affecting the selected block. But it feels like somewhat of a hack: as soon as you do any kind of navigation, you're no longer in "column editing mode". I guess it's based around a selection block, but once you start typing the selection block is no longer visible, and shift+tab isn't all intuitive either.

normeus:
pspad for writing code, textpad for sorting files and reg ex , edit plus for running and editing scripts, notepad++ just because

kartal:
PSPad has no code-folding, but I make do with the code explorer.

To all the VIMers and EMACSers: I too love VIM (not EMACS), but I think not everyone is into the right mindset for this kind of editors in this day and age. Bill Joy himself claims he wrote vi for a very different era, one with only 300 bps of bandwidth.
-ajp (March 10, 2010, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well Pspad is definetely a good app. But it is not as sophisticated as Vim in my view :) Vim offers one of the best code folding customization out there in my opinion.

The weird thing about Vim(I use gvim) is that it feels very archaic in the beginning but then you appreciate how  sophisticated it is later. Vim also offers an amazing custom coloration features.

Since I have started using Vim code syntax and vim code colors, my coding activity has increased dramatically becuase it has become so much fun to deal with text and code.

Tuxman:
For me, PSPad had some serious performance problems (just like Slickedit, which has fine config abilities indeed). I wonder why.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version