ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Return of the Son of the best *free* Windows Text Editor

<< < (8/19) > >>

Jibz:
But I wanted something for home too. The feature I most apreciated in UE was the block colum mode, mentioned in an earlier post.

Whuile searching for a text editor replacement, Crimson Editor was the only thing I found that was free and had colum editing mode.-Daleus (March 09, 2010, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just for the record, if you hold down Alt while selecting in Notepad++ it uses column mode (so Alt-Shift-cursor keys for instance) :Thmbsup:.

f0dder:
But I wanted something for home too. The feature I most apreciated in UE was the block colum mode, mentioned in an earlier post.

Whuile searching for a text editor replacement, Crimson Editor was the only thing I found that was free and had colum editing mode.-Daleus (March 09, 2010, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just for the record, if you hold down Alt while selecting in Notepad++ it uses column mode (so Alt-Shift-cursor keys for instance) :Thmbsup:.-Jibz (March 09, 2010, 07:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Which works fine for copying text or doing find/replace, but pretty much not anything else - definitely not comparable to a column editing mode :)

ajp:
PSPad fan for years, myself. The powerful CLIPS functionality alone is worth it. As someone else pointed out, it's closer to the IDE concept than to a "plain" editor. It's really extensible and it does not need 100+ MB (and lots of RAM) as Eclipse does.
They seem to have solved most of the line-wrapping bugs now.

Recently, I tried RJ TextEd and it's quite cool too, but no powerful clips and no Python syntax definition :(

PSPad has no code-folding, but I make do with the code explorer.

To all the VIMers and EMACSers: I too love VIM (not EMACS), but I think not everyone is into the right mindset for this kind of editors in this day and age. Bill Joy himself claims he wrote vi for a very different era, one with only 300 bps of bandwidth.

Jibz:
Which works fine for copying text or doing find/replace, but pretty much not anything else - definitely not comparable to a column editing mode :)-f0dder (March 09, 2010, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

What can you do in UE that is more advanced?

Tuxman:
Bill Joy himself claims he wrote vi for a very different era, one with only 300 bps of bandwidth.
-ajp (March 10, 2010, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Now how is a text editor related to bandwidth?
edit: nvm, just read it.

But in our multi-MBit days, it is still not a bad idea to use lightweight software. It hasn't become worse over all the years.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version