ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Return of the Son of the best *free* Windows Text Editor

<< < (5/19) > >>

f0dder:
one very good thing that has resulted is a standardized user interface-widgewunner (February 13, 2010, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Which they effectively broke up with now.-Tuxman (February 13, 2010, 09:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Huh?

Most Windows applications have pretty damn standardized interfaces and keybindings. There's a few deviations here and there - sometimes it's justifiable, other times it's moronic developers who decide they need to be different just to be different. Things are a lot more standardized than in *u*x land, though.

But I guess your remark was meant to target Microsoft and the differences Vista and Win7 brought? Which is pretty off-topic, since we're discussing Editors, and the post you (part-)quoted was about standardized keybindings.

kartal:
f0dder,

I think that standardization is fine, but the thing is that not all user wants standard stuff, especially when it comes to layouts and key bindings. For example I never use the standard keybindings of anything any given app, except C-c C-v in , mainly because some apps do not allow you to change mappings of those. Thus  I never bother to mess with those 2 in the apps that would let me change. Most of the time I tend to think that key bindings suck in many apps that includes text editors, graphics applications etc. For example Photoshop has standard shortcuts that many might think as industry standard, but the thing is that most of those industry  standard shortcuts are inefficient and painful to use.

Anyways my point is not to critique your point, rather I just want to iterate that customization especially when it comes to window layouts and key bindings is very important. Some apps claim to offer customization but they offer very limited one. I think that Vim or Emacs excel at custom stuff because you can hack them like crazy.

f0dder:
Anyways my point is not to critique your point, rather I just want to iterate that customization especially when it comes to window layouts and key bindings is very important. Some apps claim to offer customization but they offer very limited one. I think that Vim or Emacs excel at custom stuff because you can hack them like crazy.-kartal (February 14, 2010, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree fully that the ability for customization (including, but not limited to, keybindings) is very important - yet I still think a set of system-wide defaults that work across all applications is really useful. This goes from standard edit control keybindings, stuff like Ctrl+S for save and Ctrl+O for open, Alt+letter for menu access, to things like standardized open/save dialogs, standardized multi-document paradigms (there's several to choose from, like MDI or tabbed, but those are mostly standardized), etc.

Obviously I don't expect *u*x to follow the same standards, problem is that *u*x doesn't have the same kind of standardization... but ah well, this is a different rant, for another thread.

kartal:
Obviously I don't expect *u*x to follow the same standards, problem is that *u*x doesn't have the same kind of standardization... but ah well, this is a different rant, for another thread.
-f0dder (February 14, 2010, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree, it would have been awesome if Vim and Emacs were using the same standard keysets :)

f0dder:
-f0dder (February 14, 2010, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree, it would have been awesome if Vim and Emacs were using the same standard keysets :)
-kartal (February 14, 2010, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Think bigger, though: systemwide standards. I can user Ctrl+Arrowkeys to jump at word boundaries in most edit controls (whether single- or multiline), I can use shift+navigation to select, ctrl+backspace/del to delete to the respective word endings, there's home/end/pgup/pgdn, et cetera. ONE set of (reasonable) keybindings that are simple to remember and work across pretty much every application on the system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version