ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Return of the Son of the best *free* Windows Text Editor

<< < (4/19) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
I've been using PSPad for ages now, at home, at work, for everything. And although I keep an eye out I think I'm just used to it now  ;)  It's comfortable  :Thmbsup:

and that's the main thing really: all the good editors will do a good job. The best one for you is the one that feels most comfortable to you. If you've narrowed it down to two, why not install them both and use them both. You'll know which one to uninstall in due time.

widgewunner:
Recently I've been spending more and more time in Linuxland and have been forced to come up to speed with one of the editors there. I chose Vim simply because it is ubiquitous. I've learned the very basics - enough to open, navigate, edit, save and exit. But I have to say - I have not really enjoyed the experience (it reminds me of the old days working in DEC's KED (and TECO) editors on a VT-100 terminal connected to a PDP-11). Yes, I am aware of the power of Vim and Emacs but I've been unable to justify spending the time required to come up to the power-user level (i.e. learning all the seemingly archaic keystroke bindings and non-perl-like regex syntax).

However, one of my coworkers from my last engineering job was extremely proficient with Emacs, and he could work absolute miracles with it. He also was an amazingly fast touch typist and had setup the Dvorak keyboard layout on his machine - (which effectively kept the rest of us mere mortals from ever messing with his box!) I know that Emacs has evolved a long way and is very configurable. But say what you will about Windows, one very good thing that has resulted is a standardized user interface and a common set of keystroke bindings (which I have grown very used to over the years). If I could get Emacs to look and feel like a Windows editor, this might be a viable solution. I was wondering if there are any Windows users here who have setup Emacs to emulate the Windows keystroke functionality?

Oh, and thanks for all the input!

Tuxman:
one very good thing that has resulted is a standardized user interface-widgewunner (February 13, 2010, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Which they effectively broke up with now.

If I could get Emacs to look and feel like a Windows editor, this might be a viable solution.-widgewunner (February 13, 2010, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
There are a few approaches to make Emacs feel rather native on Windows, like ErgoEmacs:

However, a Vim or an Emacs with Windows' default key bindings would eliminate all of their efficiency immediately IMO.

kartal:
Recently I've been spending more and more time in Linuxland and have been forced to come up to speed with one of the editors there. I chose Vim simply because it is ubiquitous. I've learned the very basics - enough to open, navigate, edit, save and exit. But I have to say - I have not really enjoyed the experience (it reminds me of the old days working in DEC's KED (and TECO) editors on a VT-100 terminal connected to a PDP-11). Yes, I am aware of the power of Vim and Emacs but I've been unable to justify spending the time required to come up to the power-user level (i.e. learning all the seemingly archaic keystroke bindings and non-perl-like regex syntax).

However, one of my coworkers from my last engineering job was extremely proficient with Emacs, and he could work absolute miracles with it. He also was an amazingly fast touch typist and had setup the Dvorak keyboard layout on his machine - (which effectively kept the rest of us mere mortals from ever messing with his box!) I know that Emacs has evolved a long way and is very configurable. But say what you will about Windows, one very good thing that has resulted is a standardized user interface and a common set of keystroke bindings (which I have grown very used to over the years). If I could get Emacs to look and feel like a Windows editor, this might be a viable solution. I was wondering if there are any Windows users here who have setup Emacs to emulate the Windows keystroke functionality?

Oh, and thanks for all the input!

-widgewunner (February 13, 2010, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually you do not need to learn Vim keymaps, you just need to initialize your own configs, same with Emacs. Without customization both apps are painful to master.
I also suggest you to move to Gvim, it is graphical, has menus, offers customization etc. Vim is amazing because it offers so many weird ways of customizing. Really there are hardly any editors out there that would let you assign a shortcuts the way Vim does(like multiple key combinations), probably Emacs has it similar as well. I have recently started playing with Emacs, definetely feels great too.

InstantFundas:
Notepad++ and nothing else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version