ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Return of the Son of the best *free* Windows Text Editor

<< < (2/19) > >>

Jibz:
I'm using Notepad++ .. I use it for small coding jobs and light text editing, and it feels like it has a good set of features for a small editor :Thmbsup:.

slowmaker:
I use PSPad, quirky though it is, because I have yet to find anything short of an IDE with as much all around power that I can still understand and use relatively quickly; the vim and emacs editors seem impressively powerful but too alien to just hop right into in the middle of a project.

I've only just begun investigating Notepad++, but it seems--at first glance--to be a bit more limited than PSPad in some respects, while remaining just as quirky (but aren't all freeware text editors that way?). For instance, and maybe f0dder can clear this one up for me, I haven't yet seen a way for the same hotkey to trigger different actions depending on the current file extension (i.e. F5 to run different compiler commands for .c files versus .bas). Macros also don't seem to be directly editable (I did just discover I could search for them in Notepad++'s xml files -- with PSPad's search in file feature :) -- and edit the macro manually there). Having said all that, I need to stress that I don't know nearly enough about Notepad++ to do a full apples-to-apples comparison.

Has anyone given NoteTab Light a thorough try-out? I haven't used it much, but it claims to have RegEx support, including RegEx for 'find in files' type searching. It has (or had, last time I tinkered with it) an extensive internal macro language and a lot of text processing stuff. I use it for a more powerful Notepad replacement because it loads fast enough to prevent impatience (whereas PSPad, Notepad++, etc load *just* slow enough to annoy me for small, quickie edits).

kartal:
I suggest that when looking for an app make sure that it is cross platform. Linux is not going anywhere and it will be very viable solution for "everyone" soon. In that respect I persoanlly would suggest Vim, Emacs and MicroEmacs. The Windows only editors I like are Notepad++, Notepad2(good notepad replacement) and programmers Notepad. Recently I have tried this one as well http://www.contexteditor.org/

f0dder:
Linux is not going anywhere and it will be very viable solution for "everyone" soon.
-kartal (February 12, 2010, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
*yawn* - I've heard that the last 5+ years, and it's not that much closer to the goal, really :)

kartal:
Well, it might take a while but essentially it will happen. I know we human beings have short time span way of understanding time :) We want things that we want happen now, right away. Linux is going to take sometime maybe 20-40 years, in the end it will happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version