ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Return of the Son of the best *free* Windows Text Editor

<< < (14/19) > >>

NigelH:
For Emacs  fans  ... or not   :-\

Tuxman:
I already knew that.  :P

Oh, and BTW, as we are not talking about "free" editors anymore anyway:
Has anyone checked out this yummy editor?

For what I see, it rocks.

:-*

If it wasn't so pricey ...

Jibz:
$275 with an additional $100 for one year of upgrades? .. nearly choked on my coffee :D.

Tuxman:
Well, Directory Opus does not do it so different, right?  ;D

rjbull:
My favorite editor up to this point is Editpad Pro.  2nd favorite is EmEditor.  3rd is Ultraedit.  4th is Notepad++.  Each one has a specialty for me.  Emeditor is the fastest.  Editpad is the best overall.  Ultraedit can do the most.  Notepad++ is the best of the free ones.
-superboyac (November 10, 2010, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

The one I actually use most at present is Notetab Pro, because it has a reasonable set of features for this non-coder; notably, bookmarks, multi-level backup/undo, a spell checker, and the Clipbook macro system.  I don't use much of the Clipbook, but I think I quite like it because it's a bit like using the endless array of batch-file enhancers, and that's more or less where I came in.  If I still had to write a lot of text, though, I'd just go back to my DOS editor, VDE, because it's WordStar-style.  None of the Windows editors I've seen are a patch on WordStar for text handling, as opposed to code.  Having said that, VDE is written in assembler, and its author writes that in... VDE.

As for the free Windows ones, I had good service from Crimson Editor but I agree that most people will probably like Notepad++ more.  The latter is certainly more rapidly updated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version